Connections

For my analysis, I was assigned pages 32-54 of Thomas King’s novel Green Grass Running Water. I will begin by speaking about the historical and literary references present in these passages, as well as my own personal response to this section.

The first character that I encounter is Alberta Frank. She is a seemingly strong and independent woman. She lives in Calgary, a city in Alberta. King could be showing that the places we live help to identify us by having his main female character have the same name as her home province. Jane Flick’s annotations say that “usually Alberta herself is frank” (144), a play on her last name. She is really quite frank, saying “having both Lionel and Charlie relieved her of the anxiety of a single relationship in which events were supposed to rumble along progressively, through well-defined stages. First dates, long talks, simple passion, necking, petting, sex, serious conversations, commitment, the brief stops along the line to marriage and beyond” (King 44-45). The next clear reference is of the character Dr. John Eliot, who Flick believes could be “missionary John Eliot (1604-1690) the “Apostle to the Indians” in Massachusetts; he opposed enslaving Indian captives.” (148). James E. Kiefer explains the great lengths John Eliot went to help the Indigenous people maintain their own culture and language, even preparing “Indians to be missionaries to their own people”. He is speaking to Dr. Hovaugh, who is very clearly meant to represent Jehovah (can be detected when you say his name, Joe Hovaugh, aloud). King creates a scene where “[t]he sun was coming in through the window at Dr. Hovaugh’s back, and John had to squint to make out the shadow of the man behind the desk” (46). It would look like the sun is shining down on Joe Hovaugh, a sign of glory and praise that is often used in stained-glass art in a Catholic or Anglican church.

Joe Hovaugh is also obsessed with the book, showing how there have been predictions that are fulfilled: “They’re all in the book. Occurrences, probabilities, directions, deviations. You can look them up yourself” (King 47). Jesus continuously shows how prophecy has been fulfilled in him while he was on earth in all four gospels. One example is as follows:
“When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written:

‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
    that the blind will see,
that the oppressed will be set free,
    and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.’

He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down. All eyes in the synagogue looked at him intently. Then he began to speak to them. ‘The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!’ ” (NLT Luke 4:16-21).

The Lone Ranger and Babo both said “What else would you like to know?” (King 49, 50) within three words of each other. By having the last line of one section be the first line in the next section, King is connecting not only the sections and scenes, but also the characters which spoke the line.

There are moments of this section that I couldn’t help but laugh at. For example, Joe Hovaugh says “For Christ’s sake” (King 47). The irony had me in stitches. Also when the Lone Ranger realized that he was “being omniscient again” (King 49), and then proceeded to ask: “What else would you like to know?” (King 49). King doesn’t give us what else the brothers wanted to know, but I can imagine a sly smirk on the Lone Ranger’s face as he asks this, just egging his brothers on.

I think the moment that was the most striking for myself from the given passage was when Sergeant Cereno was talking with Babo and she wants to tell him the story of creation, but she can’t. She can’t remember where to start, and he says “[s]tart at the beginning” (54), as if that’s the most obvious place to start. But throughout the novel, King shows us how convoluted stories can be. He intertwines them, leaving us hanging, but excited to see what will happen with the next set of characters we encounter. He allows us to get frustrated with his writing style, but it is a style that does not allow us to put the book down. Because we only get snippets, we want to continue reading until we reach the end of the story, which seems to never happen.

Works Cited:

Flick, Jane. “Reading Notes for Thomas King’s Green Grass Running Water.” Canadian Literature 161-162. (1999): 140-172. Web. 16 March 2015.

Handel, Alfred. I am the Good Shepherd. 1946. Stained glass. St John the Baptist Anglican Church, Ashfield. Photo: Toby Hudson. Wikimedia. Web. 16 March 2015.

Kiefer, James E. “John Eliot, Missionary To the American Indians.” Justus Anglican. Society of Archbishop Justus. n.d. Web. 16 March 2015

King, Thomas. Green Grass Running Water. Toronto: HarperPerennial, 2007. Print.

The Way: New Living Translation. Ed. Mark Oestreicher. Chicago: Tyndale House Publishing, 2012. Print.

6 Comments

1. Hi Caitlin,

I found a different connection between Joe Hovaugh and John. As you may know, John was the disciple that Jesus loved. So, I found it ironic that it seems that Joe Hovaugh seems to be really fed up with John not signing the death certificates for the Indians even though he keeps saying he needs John. However, John knows that it is improper to sign a death certificate when there is no proof that that person is dead!

I also found this to be connected to how Babo says that “There’s a way…” (54). Like you said, the stories are intertwined and so there is a certain way to tell the story in order to make sure that it is done correctly. When I first read the book, I was so confused by its structure. After reading it multiple times though, I still learn so much from it and it makes me want to keep going!

Jasmine

1. Hi Jasmine,

Thanks for the thoughtful comment 🙂 There are actually several Johns in the New Testament: John the brother of Jesus, John the disciple Jesus loved who wrote the book of John and Revelation, and John the Baptist. This could also be a link to John the brother, who didn’t believe that Jesus is the Jehovah and Messiah, therefore denying the request.

Best,
      Caitlin

2. Hey Caitlin,

great analysis! I just wanted to point out another reference to Alberta Frank which I had noticed, and might add a little more to your reading of the novel as well. Frank, Alberta was the location of the worst land slide in Canadian history, when Turtle Mountain collapsed onto the small mining town. Alberta herself seems to be at the on the verge of collapse, stuck between a rock and a hard place (the different men in her life, her want for a baby, and her need for independence). Here’s a link to information of the slide, if you are interested: http://history.alberta.ca/frankslide/frankslidestory/frankslidestory.aspx

– Charlotte

1. Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your note! I noticed that Flick had also mentioned that, but I didn’t see how it would be useful for my passage – thanks for creating the link for me! 🙂

Best,
      Caitlin

3. Hey Caitlin!

I really liked your post. The reference to Dr. Hovaugh and the light just became apparent to me after I read your post (and looked at the picture of Jesus). So funny! I love how King’s mind works and how he is able to create these allusions for readers.

I really enjoyed your thoughts on Babo starting the creation story – I also believe that King is trying to show us how stories can be so convoluted. However, I also think that he is trying to show readers that for everyone, the beginning of our stories are different, just like with each of the four Indians. The beginning of the book, The Lone Ranger is supposed to tell the creation story but he also can’t get the beginning right. On page 14, he starts with “In the beginning, God created heaven and the earth…” and the other Indians interrupt him, “that’s the wrong story,’ said Ishmael” (King 14).

When everyone tell the story, they tell a stories of different women; changing woman, first woman, thought woman, and old woman. It’s difference that should be emphasized. Different stories for different people.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Talk soon,

Laura

1. Hi Laura,

Thanks for the feedback 🙂 I love how King knows the importance of assessing your audience when telling a story. He explains by way of his characters what is needed when teaching someone something new, which I value immensely. The really cool part about The Lone Ranger starting with the wrong story is that it’s Ishmael that corrects him, the firstborn son of Abraham. If anyone would know the Judeo-Christian story, it would be Ishmael. The Muslim faith and Qu’ran hold Ishmael in high regard, and he appears in both the Bible and the Qu’ran. That’s amazing that King decided to make Ishmael the one to say to The Lone Ranger that he’s telling the “wrong story”, when King is clearly telling us that no one story is correct or right.

Best,
      Caitlin