It all started with Muhammad Yunusand and his micro-loan revolution. The idea to make money while also benefiting society is somewhat new to the world. It may be controversial to make a profit while helping society, but I think it is a great idea. That is why, much like my classmate Celine Zacharias, I was inspired by Save-On Meats when we talked about it in during class 12 (CSR and Sustainability). Not only is this a local Vancouver business, but it is also a social enterprise. Mark Brand decided to bring Save-On Meats‘ original idea back to life after it closed in 2009. Brand brought his expertise from his other successful restaurants to bring back Save-On Meats better than ever. Not only does it benefit Vancouver habitants with good food, but it also provided the less fortunate of Downtown Eastside with an opportunity for work, experience, and ultimately to better themselves. The idea of social entrepreneurship is more than just a charity as Celine said: it an opportunity for entrepreneurs to do some good and also make a living. This is something that I have always found to be a problem with non-profit organizations. These organizations do so much good for society, yet the people who run the organization cannot give 100% because they are unable to make a living doing society this great service. With the emergence of social entrepreneurship, this problem is solved. After all, why can’t it be someone’s job to make the world a bit better, one BLT at a time?

Celine’s Blog

Main Article

Comment now!

Trackbacks