I am an ‘ugly’ fruit, eat me!

blog pic

Until I came across Cecile Ouillet’s blog post about Intermarché and their ‘Inglorious fruits and vegetables’ campaign, I was firstly not aware of the amount of “ugly” food thrown away, and I was glad to see what Intermarché was doing about it. Intermarché sells fruits and vegetables that would be thrown away due to their shape and sells them for cheaper. Based on feedback, consumers didn’t mind buying not ‘normally’ shaped foods for cheaper. This is a beneficial solution to both the consumer and supplier.  It is a very simple and obvious solution, which makes me wonder why there is not more of this.

So I researched further into ‘misshapen’ produce, to see what other companies were doing. I found close to nothing, it was either possible future plans or I would come across Intermarché once again. Having a strong interest in sustainability, I hope the idea of selling ‘ugly’ produce becomes the norm in North America, especially when considering our food waste compared to the people who cannot afford healthy fruits and vegetables (and having to turn to unhealthy alternatives).

.