Reflecting on the research on LinkedIn and formal report

Researching how to create a LinkedIn profile

Since LinkedIn is a very popular website for professional usage, there are bound to be a lot of guidelines and tips online for creating or improving a LinkedIn profile. Thus, numerous guides and websites are popping up regarding how to create or improve a LinkedIn profile upon a quick search from anyone interested. However, identifying what would be truly useful is problematic because how would one deem a strategy proper or not? There are many different strategies focusing on different aspects of how to build a professional or successful LinkedIn profile. However, upon closer examination, I have found one connection that is always applicable—exposure. Because no matter how great a profile is, if it does not appear on the website’s search results often, the profile would be worthless. Thus, most of my suggested practices are correlated with how to increase a profile’s exposure in simple but often neglected ways. For example, including keywords in the skill sections to appeal to the algorithm, having a headline that contains words associated with popular search results in the perspective field of expertise, and generating activities on the website with simple comments to stay relevant and active on the platform are all ways to help a profile gain exposure, be recognized and promoted by the website through connections. Consequently, I feel more confident in creating a professional account after this research as all the practices are appropriate in their perspective suggestion. Some may be tiny irrelevant details, but occasionally, attention to detail matters as it shows characters that stand out.

The progress of the formal report

In the beginning, I had no idea what topic to base my formal report on that could contribute positively to society. However, when I saw how fast people were speeding on the road I use every day for school, I thought speeding would be a meaningful and beneficial topic to expand upon. Speeding has always been a concern of road safety globally and is one of the leading reasons for collisions. Therefore, there are speed limits, police patrols, and speed traps in place to discourage speeding motorists as accident prevention. However, as a driver, I know how recklessly fast motorists still go whenever without police supervision and regard for other road users’ safety. Thus, the idea of speed cameras came to my mind as I remembered how little people speed in Hong Kong, mainly due to the presence of speed cameras everywhere to catch speeding motorists. Since I am familiar with the concept of speed cameras, I am confident and comfortable researching this topic as I have the fundamental knowledge and experience with them, their effectiveness, and the public’s general opinion towards them. Moreover, since Canada has a completely different living culture, I want to see the public opinions on speed cameras. Thus, upon analyzing the survey data and articles, my formal report will undoubtedly contribute to the road safety effort. Furthermore, the peer review I received from my teammate Salma gave me insightful feedback on maximizing the sample size with my survey distribution. Since this is my first time creating and analyzing the data for a formal report, I am thrilled to receive such comments that can further improve my research method. The peer review also reminded me how different perspectives can be because I initially thought that my proposal and research method looked solid. Yet, Salm’s suggestion is better and more reasonable. Thus, I am grateful for the feedback I received from the peer review.

The peer review process

In my opinion, the peer review process is considerably one of the best parts of the assignment as we have the chance to review and have our work reviewed by peers as a collaborative effort. Where there is often less pressure than having it reviewed by professors, but retaining the same insightfulness as a proofreader other than the author themselves can always be appreciated. My assigned teammate for peer review is Salma Ismail, and her work is as impressive as it can significantly contribute to helping those in need. Salma’s initial proposal was about food security, where she proposed reaching out to more potential sponsors to solve the supply shortage problem to help more families in need. However, after the peer review process, she revised her topic into mental health issues among the youths, which is no less meaningful and important. Salma’s writing and idea are professional, concise, and overall outstanding. I am grateful for the chance to participate in this peer review to witness some of the unique ideas that can help improve our society in a meaningful and positive way. Issues such as food security and mental health issues are often neglected by first-world countries such as Canada, representing the hidden issues of society and how minorities are often forgotten. Thankfully, there are people like Salma who think in the direction of positive changes that can help those in need—inspiring me to write and think about meaningful and positive topics.

Revised Report Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/2023/03/16/revised-formal-report-proposal-for-improving-road-safety-in-west-vancouver-residential-area/

Peer review: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/2023/02/28/peer-review-for-gareth-yuen-formal-report-proposal/