Why business ethics is so important

In response to Shawn’s post about how business ethic sometimes doesn’t apply, I deem that business ethic should always apply to firms, and it is very important to firms that have huge marker power, especially for Apple.

Shawn define ethic as a “merely perception without certain clear definitions“, yet I find a precise definition online says: business ethics deal with any moral or ethical issues arise in a company. From my perspective, unethical practices can negatively affect a business. Apple’s stock price has went down because of the news which revealed its working condition in China.

Shawn also argues that: “Criticizing each giant in industries seems to become the most popular fashion trend nowadays“. While I agree that multimedia likes to report negative news just to attract readers, the criticism that they make is also an alert to the firms, warning them not to make the same mistake again.

The fact is, without Apple’s contribution, most of the workers would not even get the chance to be paid. In this way, Apple’s conduct was obviously favouring the helpless” quoted Shawn. If this is the fact, then most of the workers will be unemployed if Apple did not hire them. However, numerous workers had health problems because of the prolonged hours they worked. Would people still believe that Apple’s conduct was favouring the helpless when they see those poor workers ended up in hospital while their low earning can’t probably cover the full cost of medical treatment.

Last but not least, Shawn claimed that: “We also know, that there is no such enjoyment as healthcare or social insurance or minimum wage in China. And this is the exact answer of why we can purchase a pair of comfy Jordan with the price of $125 not $500, and we can afford a fancy Mac Air with the price of $1000, not $3000.” I’d like to see statistical proof indicating that China lacks of efficient healthcare or social insurance. In fact, I went to Apple China’s official website and only found out that they charge at the same price if not higher. And I observed the same phenomenon with Jordan’s shoes. So, if us consumer is not enjoying this price advantage due to lower cost, who is then? The answer is obvious- Apple.

The news which revealed working condition of Apple China really saddens me, and I hope Apple take business ethics in a more serious manner.

Thinking on the other side of Obamacare

There has been much disagreement over the topic of Obamacare in recent time, one of the questions under debate is whether it is beneficial to the society by providing everyone a affordable health care or does it actually harm the society by hindering the employment rate?

After reading Nicola’s blog about Obamacare, I had few skeptical remarks about the consequences of implementing the system. While I agree that Obamacare does add more cost to firms, I question will the firms actually be devious enough to actually reduce hours of their employee to make them not eligible for Obamacare? My reason is that such unethical behaviour can negatively affect a firm by losing its reputation and the trust from its employees. Which could result in a huge decrease in the performance of the company.

Also I believe the unemployment caused by Obamacare is temporary, because a business cannot survive without its employees. After Obamacare have became the industry rule, firms will find other solutions to deal with the increase in cost.

B.C government begins to issue bonds to China

The government of British Columbia has became the first Canadian government to sell bonds into China’s market.

On November 4th, 2013 at 6;00PM, the BC government legally signed a contract with China, issuing over a total of $400 million bonds at a rate of 2.25% per year. Interestingly, the bond was issued in China’s currency, also called the Renminbi (RMB), sold just over $2.5 billion RMB. This one year bond contract also has a nick name called “dim sum”, and it is expected to pay out in November, 2014.

The B.C debt is rated at AAA level, which makes its debt attractive to international investors looking for perceived safety. Although it doesn’t contribute a large proportion of money in the province’s operating costs, it’s a telling move for a province trying to ally itself more closely with the Asian market.

As a Chinese immigrant in Canada, I am really happy to see the increasing in trade between Canada and China. Not only does this indicate the growing power of China, but also shows the better friendship between two countries. I really look forward to the economic growth of both countries.