Assignment 1.5: The Story of How Evil Came into the World

Posted by in ENGL 372

The Story of How Evil Came into the World

I have a great story to tell you.

Or, well, it’s your decision, really, whether you think it’s a great story. But you can only decide that once you’ve heard it.

Or you could just walk away now and assume that any story I could tell probably wouldn’t be that great anyhow. Are you willing to take the risk and hear me out?

Well, this is a story of how evil came to the world. If you can believe it, there was a time when this world didn’t have any greed or maliciousness, there was no prejudice or hatred, and there was no loneliness or abandonment. But that was a long time ago.

Back then, there was a child who had wandered away from their village in search of a new spot to play. They were hoping for a new idea for a game to alight in their mind with promises of amusement and laughter. The child wandered often, but seldom this far from the safety of the arms of their mother and the comfort of their circle of friends.

We can call this child Eve, if you want. Or Pandora, maybe. Any name will do. I’ll call them Foolish for now. But we can change the name whenever we’d like to.

Now, Foolish wandered further and further away from their village and the trees began to grow thicker and darker. The child was barefoot and unclothed, for the soil was soft and the sun was gentle where they usually played. But, in this strange place away from home, thorns on the ground began to prick their feet and the sun was blocked by a thick cover of pine needles, so their skin grew cold and they began to shiver for the first time.

While many children would have turned around by now, Foolish thought that they had better continue on. They were spurred on by imaginings of discovering something new and bringing back a story to share with their siblings. So, Foolish scampered through brambles and dug under branches, scratching their smooth golden skin and getting mud in their dark brown hair.

Just when Foolish supposed that perhaps they should turn around and seek a new adventure somewhere a tad less difficult to walk, the child glanced upon some glowing eyes in the thicket ahead. The eyes were unblinking and bright, drawing Foolish closer and closer.

“Hello!” cried the child to the glowing eyes. (Remember, Foolish has never had to worry about meeting strangers in the woods before. Those stories hadn’t been told yet.)

Upon being greeted, the Creature slunk out of the shadows. It wasn’t very large at all, but Foolish had never seen an animal like it before. Strangely, the child couldn’t seem to grasp quite what the Creature looked like, and couldn’t form an idea of its image in their mind.

Suddenly, Foolish was overcome with a new feeling, a feeling they had never encountered before. It was a feeling of discomfort, of skin beginning to crawl, of breath becoming constrained, and of eyes starting to water. Foolish stopped walking forwards, and stood still, gazing at the Creature, whose size seemed to have grown slightly larger.

The Creature locked eyes with Foolish and then opened its mouth to speak. “I have a great story to tell you,” the Creature said. It said it with a smile and with a grimace and with a sneer and with a snarl. And as the Creature spoke, it grew in size.

Foolish was caught. Where the child had previously been looking down upon the Creature, Foolish now had to crane their neck to see its glowing eyes. It’s not that they wanted to, believe me. But they felt drawn in, entranced and as if they were being held in a tight grip, unable to move and unable to breathe as the Creature continued to speak in an unfamiliar tone.

Foolish couldn’t deny the story. Foolish couldn’t nod or look away. Foolish was small and shivering, and was held by a much stronger force than they had ever encountered.

The Creature continued to weave the story. It grew and writhed like a pile of hissing snakes, or swirled like a cloud of acrid smoke, or bubbled like a pool of burning tar. It wrapped around the child and forced its way inside their ears, eyes, and mouth. Foolish was overwhelmed with hatred, greed, desire, loneliness, fear, and anger. They collapsed to the ground, wrapping their arms around their body for a sense of comfort, but the comfort never came.

The story seemed to go on forever, but really, it was over in an instant. For, the length of the story doesn’t matter, it’s what the story holds that counts.

The Creature saw that the story had woven its dark magic and retreated once more into the darkness.

After a while, Foolish managed to sit up. Then they began to drag themselves back towards their village in the mud and the thorns. Then they managed to stand up, and stumble. Finally, they began to run.

When Foolish returned, they appeared the same to their family and friends as they had before hearing this new story. Except, of course, a little scraped, bruised, and muddy. But, while Foolish looked the same, the child had changed imperceptibly. They were full of the story of evil that they had just heard, unable to leave it behind.

From that day, with every word that Foolish spoke they shared a bit of the story, passing it on to their family, to their friends, to their village. And so evil spread from person to person, a little bit at a time.

For, once a story is told it becomes loose in the world. You cannot take a story back, nor can you return a story that you did not like. Every story you hear becomes a part of your own story and a part of the story of those close to you.

So, be careful of the words you dare to whisper. And be wary of the whispers that tempt you to listen.

Stories are dangerous things.

————

In creating this story and sharing it orally, I learned a few things. First, the story changed subtly every time I spoke it. Through inflection, tone, the arrangement of words, and pace, my oral story had a slightly different feel in every rendition. Secondly, I learned how difficult it is to capture the ease of spoken word in written form. I struggled to know when it was suitable to break paragraphs, whether to use commas or ellipses and when casual language was appropriate or not. Lastly, I learned how much energy and emotion it takes to properly convey an oral story. I had to use my hands, facial expressions, and variance in loudness and softness, just to name a few storytelling techniques needed to convey the story. I also noticed that my story changed depending on who I was telling it to, based on how engaged they were in the tale and whether they were responsive to a more active storyteller versus a more subtle approach.

This assignment makes me excited to read more stories aloud and see how this changes my perception of the language and the story.

Isbouts , Jean-Pierre. “Why Adam and Eve Were Cast out of Eden.” National Geographic, 31 Jan. 2019, www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/people-in-the-bible/adam-eve-couple-relationship-bible/.

Otis, Dan. “Ariel View of Pine Trees in the Mist.” Unsplash, 8 Aug. 2017, https://unsplash.com/@danotis.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. “Pandora.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 18 Apr. 2019, www.britannica.com/topic/Pandora-Greek-mythology.