A Letter of Application

by ggener

January 25, 2023

English 301 – Technical Writing Class
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Class of English 301:

I am writing this application letter in the hope of joining a professional writing team to work with this semester. I am a passionate third-year Political Science and Law and Society student at the University of British Columbia, and a part-time Retail Manager. I believe that the optimal balance between my academics and professional field can provide the dependability, commitment and excellent results that this position demands.

With four years of experience in retail and sales – between positions as a Style and Service Advisor in stores, to a Concierge Associate in office, to my current role in the Store Management Department – I have developed strong collaborative skills by working with and leading a team of like-minded individuals with an optimal balance of business and people relations at a micro and macro level. Day-to-day operative responsibilities include opening and closing the store, meeting business sales goals, and building loyal client relationships. Greater responsibilities include hiring and retaining quality talent, understanding and working on employee schedules in accordance to business objectives, and navigating different personalities and sensitive situations with successful collaboration.

Over the past three years, I have also been attending university to obtain my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with a minor in Law and Society, where I anticipate to attend law school preceding graduation. My elaborate work with research essays, competitive debates, and group projects through my course in university, has also deepened my breadth and depth of understanding in independent and group work. In Particular, I took part in a course-long collaborative project among ten members, which involved researching for, writing and presenting proposals, briefs, and reports leading up to an eight-hour First Ministers Meeting simulation at the end of the term. Thus, through being a part of this team, I seek to leverage strong teamwork, strategic thinking and research skills.

I am certain that partaking in the opportunity to participate in a professional writing team with contributors from broad backgrounds will provide me with the meaningful experience to enhance my technical writing skills – particularly in my ability to identify and put forth formal edits – for my future.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you. I can be reached via email at ggener@student.ubc.ca.

Sincerely,
Gabriella Generoso
English 301, Student

Encl: 301 Gabriella Application Letter