Low-Budget Advertisement: Using a Jingle Effectively

In recent times, the boundaries of advertising have been stretched and improved upon through means of producing memorable and aesthetically pleasing masterpieces. For wealthy corporations with endless funding and nothing short of an army of computer technicians at the ready, the creative possibilities know no bounds. However, since small to mid-sized businesses have comparatively restrictive budgets, there harks a need for ingenuity and ensuring that their money can effectively and positively grab consumer interest and lead to loyalty.

Here is an example of an extremely successful ad by JG Wentworth:

JD Wentworth Commercial

I haven’t seen this commercial in over 2 years but I still remember that if I need cash now, I call JD Wentworth. Notice that their ad had nothing extravagant (other than a viking costume). What made this commercial so vividly epic was the simply preposterous combination of opera, riding the bus, and a large man in a viking costume.

In contrast, here is Flea Market Montgomery’s sad attempt at appealing to consumers:

Flea Market Montgomery’s

Even though both JD Wentworth and Flea Market Montgomery spent limited money on their advertisements, Flea Market Montgomery’s lacked for several reasons.

For one, the ad was too long; in a time-poor society, lengthy commercials often create prepurchase dissonance and are  dismissed despite any actual marketing genius.

Secondly, the vocals were repetitive and uninteresting. If a jingle is going to be incorporated in a commercial, it MUST be aurally pleasing.

Finally, commercials are the first impression consumers have on a company. If there is any “choppiness” to the ad, then it comes off as lazy and a waste of lifetime.

I’m going to leave you with a series of ad campaigns by Dodd’s furniture, probably the greatest low-budget ads ever made:
Hindiana Dodd
Dodd’s Serta Trek
Wizard of Dodd