Link 4 – Task 7 Mode Bending Emily MacDougall

https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540emilymacdougall/2022/07/03/task-7-mode-bending/

Upon reflecting on the affordances of mode bending, Emily and I both touched on the importance of multimodal spaces as a means to diversify the learning and in order to connect with learners at a deeper level. I also appreciated how Emily added that different modes of representation also models, “different ways of knowing, which the students can then use in their own assessments.” (MacDougall, 2022). 

The ways in which Emily and I engaged with mode bending was drastically different. I described the items in my bag through a poem where Emily used a multimodal video. This difference would also change the expectation from the audience. Another difference in the ways we changed modes was our narration choice, in which Emily took her bag on a journey and was speaking in third person. In addition, the approach Emily took in presenting information from her bag I found to be similar to myself, in which I focused on items in my bag that are most important and best speak to me. I also noticed that Emily spoke slowly and clearly in her video which I emphasized as critical when using audiological forms of communication.