Gold

Just another UBC Blogs weblog

UBC Portfolio Management Fund

without comments

During a discussion with one of my Teaching Assistants, I was informed of the UBC Portfolio Management Fund (PMF).  “The Dean of Commerce (UBC) Portfolio Management Foundation (PMF) is a two-year extra-curricular program for students that begins at the end of their second year of university. It consists of two summers of internships, an academic year as a “Research Associate” (assisting the students one year ahead in the program) and an academic year as a “Fund Manager.” The FMs’ and RAs’ task is to add value to a real portfolio of stocks and bonds, currently valued at about $2.5 million.”PMF-moebius-2c-small

Thanks to my TA, I have been able to do my best to prepare myself for this program.  Meeting with various current team members, simultaneously scheduling lunches and appointments with PMF Advisors and Faculty, and attending market mingles, I plan to build a solid background in Capital Markets.  As a first year in business my background knowledge of Capital Markets is minimal.  Over the summer, through my internship at Northfield Information Services, books, and the news, I plan to further my knowledge.  Even though I am a first year, I have always been conscience of what I want to build a future career in.  When applying to Sauder, I knew I knew I was going to major in finance.  With that in mind, learning about the PMF was like striking oil.  I am eager and am doing my best to become a member of the team.  Hopefully, all of my preparation and small head start will provide me with a solid background.  I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Written by golde

April 18th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Posted in Uncategorized