Gold

Just another UBC Blogs weblog

Whopper Virgins

without comments

First of all I totally forgot about this until I saw an old add on TV the other day. Some could call this genius, others could call this a waste of effort.

The first thing that comes to my mind, is what is the point of reaching out to these customers who will never purchase fast food? Why waste your time and effort spreading the love and joy of the American hamburger? Burger King intended to show the current and potential Burger King consumers that when compared to its competitor McDonald’s infamous Big Mac, The Whopper was for the most part preferred.

Many, however, viewed this as racist and exploitative. As one would expect the poor foreigners and underprivileged people preferred The Whopper. Chance or coincidence? Although Burger King includes some instances where the Big Mac was preferred, for the most part, The Whopper was shown as the most preferred burger. If you notice, there are specific locations that prefer the Big Mac more frequently than The Whopper. Could this have something to do with the developed taste of the locals in a specific region. Are people more accustomed to a specific taste that made The Whopper or Big Mac more appealing?

Overall I do not really agree with this ad and think it is not only a waste of effort but racist – chew on that Burger King.

Written by golde

November 3rd, 2010 at 10:40 am

Posted in Uncategorized