Save Twinkies!

Hostess, the company that makes Twinkies, is going bankrupt, and someone has created a petition to the White House to “immediately nationalize the Twinkie industry and prevent our nation from losing her sweet creamy center.”  As of the day I am writing this, one day has passed since the petition started, nearly 2800 signatures have been collected.

Twinkies made by Hostess

In all seriousness, the publicity and popularity of Twinkies are a success. Not many products in the world can attain such a magnitude of popularity and support. According to Huffington Post, Hostess is shutting down because of labour union disputes. Also, the company is unable to make a profit, and wages and benefits have been constantly decreasing.

In my opinion, Twinkies is a name that is very valuable.  The decrease in profit could have been caused by two issues: management problem, which resulted in labour disputes and profit problems, and the decline in desire of Twinkies. I remember when I was just a toddler what Twinkies were like and currently, they are almost the same. With so many new products over the years, consumers may still like Twinkies but they are also given so many other choices as well. They substituted to other products, but Twinkies weren’t necessarily much worse than others. It had a position in consumers’ minds. Therefore, if Twinkies were to be purchased by a different company, they could potentially profit from it because the marketing of this product is unnecessary; the name is already so famous. All they need to do is create a point of difference for this snack, whether it’s the taste or appearance.