Brands Associated with Holidays

With the recent passing of St Patricks Day and the marketing lectures involving brand awareness, I came to the conclusion on Thursday while sipping my first Guinness of the day (~9:30 am)  that some brands are lucky enough to be associated with holidays and the automatic boost that goes with them. These are typically brands that have become so entrenched within the culture of the holiday that they seem a part of the holiday itself, usually providing a traditional sales boost. Without further ado, here are some of the more obvious brands in my evoked set.

1. St. Patricks Day/Guinness

They get to be first because this is what caused the epiphany in the first place. Nothing satisfies more than a Guinness or 12 on St. Patricks day and the Irish brand has a strong association with this semi-holiday (well its real in Newfoundland, Labrador and Ireland!) around the world. This association works wonderfully with an alcoholic beverage since that is what is major activity on this day, I’m not sure of the origins of this holiday so I just always assumed St. Patrick was an alcoholic who liked to yell Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit! at everyone he would meet. Notable Challenger: Jameson Whiskey.

2. American Thanksgiving/Macy’s

I cannot think of a more well-publicized, single event sponsored by and associated more with a single brand than Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. The most popular parade in America since 1924, 3.5 million people turn out in the streets and more than 50 million tune in worldwide to watch. A long standing tradition that demonstrates the roots of the company, I’d say this is the best advertisement a company could hope for outside of being a national landmark.

3. Easter/Purdy’s

Purdy’s easter chocolates have definitely become a staple, at least in my household, and they now offer an extensive line of chocolates specifically for the holiday. Perhaps not quite as well established and entwined with the other companies above, Purdy’s is well on their way to being associated with this major holiday, at the very least in Canada.

4. Valentines Day; Mothers Day; Fathers Day; Grandparents Day; Bosses Day; Secretary’s Day; Family Day; Birthdays/Hallmark

Hallmark has become the go-to company for holidays. Coming as almost an afterthought, these cards are associated with every major holiday and every special occasion under the sun. “Hallmark Holidays” is a negative term used to associate the company with making up holidays for a purely commercialized basis instead of actually having a purpose. Most of these have been included above, but I’m sure as I write this Hallmark execs are developing more reasons to purchase cards on a regular basis.