I want to learn English.

October 19th, 2010

On the 480 to and from UBC, and in various other places, I commonly see ads providing free English classes for immigrants.

Obviously, the market segment is immigrants from any country targeted to those who do not speak English. The positioning approach is very clear, in that it boldly states what it can provide for those interested. I think this is a good method, with simple, yet powerful statements that many Canadian newcomers are probably thinking. It is hard to get started after moving to a new country, especially if you don’t speak the language, and this service would definitely interest and benefit many (especially since it is free – funded by the BC and Canadian government). The home page of the website immediate shows links for many different languages, in that language, so it is easily accessible for those who do not speak English.

I think it’s great that the government is willing to provide English classes to those who want to learn. It shows what kind of country Canada is; people want to live here, and they are welcomed warmly.