Underground Youtube Decrees

November 9th, 2010

Passing over youtube the past couple of days, I noticed a couple comments on videos consisting of “UNDERGROUND YOUTUBE DECREES”. Anyone is free to become a youtuber, and with the internet acting as a shield for those who want to act like jerks, there are always a lot of various, stupid comments on videos. Ie. shamelessly berating the uploader if they don’t like the video, multiple users getting into arguments, or just making a dumb remarks that has nothing whatsoever to do with the video. Youtubers are also free to “rate” comments by giving a thumbs up or thumbs down on the comment, so you get lots of comments desperate for ratings, such as “thumbs up if you agree that the reporter was hot”.

Coming across this “UNDERGROUND YOUTUBE DECREES” comment, I was actually pleasantly surprised and amused when reading it. If you’re a regular youtuber like me, you may appreciate these decrees as well.

UNDERGROUND YOUTUBE DECREES

I Thou shalt not mention Justin Bieber

II Thou shalt not comment on the dislike bar

III Thou shalt not explain how something is different in Soviet Russia

IV Thou shalt not ask if he died

V Thou shalt not include “Chuck Norris” in a sentence

VI Thou shalt not ask for thumbs up

VII Thou shalt not ask if an inanimate object is ok

*Disobeying the decrees will doom you to a YouTube afterlife filled with bad rap music and male enhancement advertisements*

You see these types of comments on pretty much EVERY highly-viewed video on youtube. Even if the video has nothing to do with Justin Bieber, some commenter will always talk about him (normally in a very bad way). You also see a LOT of comments on the dislike bar. “5832 people missed the like button”. Try going to any youtube video, and looking through the comments. You’re almost guaranteed to find some of these comments.

Commenting and/or reading the comments has lost some of its value. Yeah, you still see some people giving their true opinion in a reasonable manner, and those are nice to read. But more and more, you see these lame generic comments. Although I can definitely see this “UYD” comment becoming one that appears on every single video as well, I must say I agree with it. Lame comments are ruining my experience of watching the video.