Lesson 1:3 Assignment #3 Monday Jan 27th

I have a great story to tell you

An even longer time ago than before once upon a time, everything was pleasant. The Sun was always shining, and it would even hide behind the clouds when the people and animals below seemed to be showing signs of sunburn. It did not want to hurt them. When the crops needed water, the Clouds would be sure to let rain fall only in the middle of the night, when everyone was sleeping, so as not to get anyone wet. Everyone was very considerate during this time.

The world was not entirely without disputes. Once the bats, cats, and other nocturnal animals, such as the limax maximus and the average caffeine addicted university student, got together and signed a petition complaining about the rain at night. Since they were always out at nighttime, many of them had fallen ill from the constant exposure to rain. And a cat with the common cold, is one cranky animal .

The Sun, Clouds, humans and animals felt horrible for having forgotten about the nocturnal beings. They apologized most sincerely and a compromise was made. It was decided that it would rain slightly more often in the day time than at night, but when it did rain during the day, the sun would still be shining, and the rain would be light and cool. And after the rain was over, rainbows would appear. This was how sun showers came into the world.

So, everything was all nice and comfortable for everyone. Yet there was one creature in all the land, water and sky that was not happy with the state of things as they were. This was an Octopus. No one knows the Octopus’s name, or whether it was male or female. All anyone knows is that the Octopus’s life was just as pleasant as everyone else’s.

The Octopus had realized what others in the old world had not; that the price of being perfect was to be boring. So the Octopus swam to a large rock somewhere near the shore of the land; a rock that all creatures of the earth, sky and land could see. On this rock he wrote, with his very own ink, a story.

The story was about many things, including things that had, thus far, not been conceived of in the then perfect world; evils. No one knows exactly what these evils were, because the ink on the rock has long since been washed away by the rain and sea. All that is known are the first words of the story “Once upon a time.” Although tales were told before this story, many regard it as the first story because it was the first of its kind that was actually engaging to listen to.

The story was so compelling that creatures came from all over the world to read it, and they retold it when they returned back to their homes. The people and animals were so impressed with the Octopus’s story that they urged the Octopus to write more, and the Octopus did so.

For a time the Octopus was happy, because life was no longer boring; excitement could be found in the stories. Although the stories contained evils, they were not evil in themselves. They were dynamic and dramatic. In contrast to the aspects of evil were tales of extraordinary goodness, goodness that could not exist, or at least, could not be appreciated, without evil to compare it to. Hence were born myths of undying loyalty, selflessness, family, friendship… and love.

But then something very strange started happening. Stories like the Octopus’s began cropping up all over the place. At first, the Octopus was overjoyed. The Octopus thought that other animals and people had taken up the art of story telling as well. Yet the Octopus soon discovered that many of these stories were not entirely fiction. The storytellers were not inventing these stories, they were recounting them; for many of the atrocious events that happened in these stories, had really happened.

The Octopus was horrified. Somehow the fiction of his stories had inspired facts. What was worse was that for every true story the Octopus heard about goodness; there seemed to be a hundred more that contained evil. “I have made a horrible mistake!” cried the Octopus, “I take them back! I call my stories back!”

But, of course, it was too late. For once a story is told, it cannot be called back. Once told, it is loose in the world.

OBSERVATIONS
While telling this story to my friends I noticed several things. Different people responded to it differently. Some people found it really funny, others absurd. This caused me to change the way I told the story depending upon who was listening to it. If my audience seemed to find certain aspects funny, I would play them up. If they were not responding to the story at all, I would rush it to the end. I thoroughly enjoyed telling the story in front of certain audiences; and found it painfully awkward in front of others.

WORKS CITED

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Toronto: House of Anansi Press Inc, 2003. Print.

1. Thanks for the story, Greta-Anne.

I totally empathize with your description of feeling “painfully awkward” in front of certain listeners. I found that too. It was interesting to me because I really love these kinds of tales. I enjoy reading them, I remember them fondly from my childhood. They inform my worldview to some extent. So it was surprising to me that I am not used to telling these kinds of stories. Sure, if I’m around children, maybe I will launch into a proper story. It’s not as easy telling these kinds of stories to my peers.

I am curious as to why you chose an Octopus as your protagonist. I like the idea of the story being written on a secret rock that everyone has to visit to read it. I find it interesting that your world is idealistic too, until evil enters the world. Many of our stories have that commonality. I wonder, though, if things would be amazing without evil. It makes me think about what my definition of evil is. There are certain traits that we unarguably have that seem to be viewed in more of a negative light. They aren’t really evil though. I wonder if evil comes out of these negative feelings or if evil comes out of something else? It’s certainly interesting to think about.

I haven’t read/listened to any stories about how evil come into the world yet that deal with storytelling in the way you do. It’s interesting to think that the octopus’ stories were interesting because they contained evil deeds. We certainly are fascinated with the dichotomy of good and evil, aren’t we? Among other dichotomies, I suppose.

I really liked how the octopus was horrified that it had helped bring evil into the world. Poor guy. Thanks for sharing, it was a fun tale to read!

1. Hi Lauren!
      I chose the Octopus because I wanted to write about a character who brought evil into the world through writing down stories… so I thought, in the beginning, who had access to ink? An Octopus.
      I’m really interested in what our own and others’ definition of evil are too. I was exploring that a little bit with my story. I’m not saying that I enjoy all of the evils in this world, I could certainly live without them. However, if everything was lovely and we all go our own way all the time… I just think life would be desperately dull! So whenever it seems like I have way too much drama in my life, I take a minute to appreciate the fact that “at least it isn’t boring, and I’ll get some really good stories out of it.”
      Thanks for the comment,
      -GReta

2. WOW! That was very intruiging, and such a joy to read. An Octopus is an interesting animal and an even more interesting protagonist! How did you come up with this idea to use this camouflaging cephalopod? My only explanation in the use of such an animal is the raw fact that octopi can become its subject of desire. With its ability to blend with its surroundings, the Octopus becomes a blank page and can tell any story, which is exactly what he does. He reveals a ying-yang relationship in respect to the relationship of good and evil. It is dually noted when the Octopus gets joy in telling his stories but then realizes the evil in what he created; the evil that his students have spread.
    I also find it very interesting that you chose the Octopus as a male character in your story. Can you please tell me why? Was it just common nature, or did you decide on this? I think if I were to choose a protagonist in a story, I would make it female. This is not a sexist statement, but because my culture has a matrilineal society. My culture and choices aside, I was quite moved by your very last italicized paragraph:

“But, of course, it was too late. For once a story is told, it cannot be called back. Once told, it is loose in the world.”

It is very true. Once you say something, you most certainly cannot take it back. It has been told, listened to, processed in others minds, and then understood. Its acting almost as a warning. The Octopus has done something to wrong that it becomes a warning for all other animals in the world. A warning that I too need to master. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story!

-Kayla

1. Hi Kayla!
      Thank you so much! Well, coming up with the Octopus happened quite simply, really. I wanted to write about a character who brought evil into the world through writing down stories… so I thought, in the beginning, who had access to ink? Well, an Octopus. I’m not sure why I made him male! I just got an image in my head of a scholarly Octupus with glasses, and in my head he was male. Although, actually, he didn’t really have any sort of sexual identity at all. I think I just picked male so that I would be able to refer to him through the use of pronouns without having to write “the Octopus” all the time. However, his sex is really not important, and I would actually prefer for his sex to be ambiguous now that I think about it.
      -Cheers!
      -Greta