Uncategorized

1:1 An Introduction

1:1 An Introduction by hanniacuri

Oh, hi! If you’ve made it this far, you must be one of my classmates/Dr. Paterson herself… or a lost soul who might have strayed a long way off the Yellow Brick Road on their journey elsewhere. Whoever you are, welcome, have a seat (but not on that chair, it has a tendency to stab my friends), and I’ve got some cookies due to be out of the oven in a few minutes. I don’t know about you, but I love to bake, especially when I have company. I get most of my recipes from this amazing, diet-ruining website. However, I’m not to good at tidying up in time, so please forgive the unfinished nature of the site. I’ll play around with it as I go.

Have a cupcake! It’s strawberry cheesecake!

My name is Hannia, I am very close to gaining status as a 4th year student (3 credits away, to be exact) pursuing a double major in English Literature and Film Studies, and am getting too old to continue burning the midnight oil in pursuit of academic excellence. Unfortunately, old habits die hard. I started university wanting to be a writer, but now I’m not entirely sure where I want to end up.

I’ve decided to spend my summer locking down that mandatory Canadian Literature credit for the English half of my degree by enrolling in ENGL 470A with you, and maybe two other courses. This class in particular will be examining Canadian Literature, from the Indigenuous oral tradition to colonial European texts, and the way they intersect or otherwise. At its core, the course is an exploration of stories; where and who they come from and their impact. That is the premise, and our setting is Canada.

I wish I could tie this in to a more meaningful, personal note, but although I am an immigrant to this country and have my own stories/complicated relationship to this land, mine is not really a group that I expect to find record of in Canadian media and be able to explore through the course. The Latin American diaspora seems to have sent most of the creative types to the States. But I do love stories, for they are a rare opportunity to get a taste of what life can be like for someone other than oneself and am stoked to be part of a course that focuses on their power. I’m also excited to share in all of your stories through our blogging assignments. I’ve dabbled in some online blogging myself in the past, and am interested to see how we’ll be using online platforms to enhance our learning. Even if these enhancements might end up happening in the wee hours of the morning for some. (Read: me.)

An artistic depiction of me, embarking on this summer’s journey into Canadian Literature with you.

Now, to explain the blog title. I’ve experienced Canadian content before as part of my Film degree, delving through entries into what passes for our film canon ranging from jaw-dropping, to oddly compelling, and… interesting, to say the least. As far as literature is concerned, though, even my children’s literature class had an overwhelmingly British presence, which is not all that intolerable for me, but it does feel a tad claustrophobic. This summer, though, it’s time to relocate to the colonies for some time, and this will stand as the record of my trip. So, I’ll say goodbye to England and read something new for a change.

Don’t cry, Fielding, I’ll come back for you some day.

Story written by hanniacuri

8

1. But what would ever possess you to go back to Fielding??
    I, too, am relieved to be leaving England behind for a little while and spending time with the stories that connect to this land. You’re right, stories are such an integral way of learning about ourselves and, indeed, about others. It’s such a significant part of culture and community building, and so irrevocably tied to landscape, it’s refreshing to explore stories that we can relate to from our own relationship to the landscape.

I’m also an avid baker – I’m vegan, so all my products tend to be animal-product free, but I haven’t heard any complaints yet… Favourite cooking/baking blogs include The Post Punk Kitchen: http://www.theppk.com/ and Oh She Glows: http://ohsheglows.com/
    Check them out!

Looking forward to working with you over the summer. Cheers,

Jess

• Fielding is more like my personal Moby Dick… I never did gt to finish Tom Jones for the class it was assigned and have been trying since. I like his narration and do enjoy the 18th century’s… jollier aspects. (Finding comedy in the king’s decision to enable libertines for years… can’t have been much fun for anyone but them though.)

Stories really do hold meaning! How much time do we spend consuming them? I’m sure if we were able to hear from a more diverse array of voices, there would be more for all kinds of people to find solace in. (See: Uhura’s inclusion in Star Trek and the many people she inspired.) I haven’t much experience connecting it to landscape though, so I’d be happy to hear you expand your thoughts on the matter some day. 🙂

I’ll definitely check those links out! I’ve never really tried vegan baking myself, but it will sure come in handy to have a few recipes on hand. I’m sure your baking skills are excellent!

2. Yes, yes! I love your title and completely share your feelings of claustrophobia. I couldn’t even name the feeling until I took a Asian Studies literature course. I was pleasantly surprised at how different the voices were from the Eurocentric ones I was so used to. It was hard to say goodbye to that class.

I see you’re a Whovian! Or, rather an actual Adipose?? 😉 Either way, it’s always nice to find a kindred spirit.

• You took an Asian Studies literature course?!? Ah, I’d love to do that! I’ve taken film courses in Asian Studies and it’s been so refreshing. As someone who has spent the past weeks watching adaptations of Shakespeare and Jane Austen I can’t say I despise the texts I’ve been dealing with but there’s a lot you miss when you don’t have a lot of variety on your reading list.

And gosh, it seems you’ve caught me! Err.. actually my Adipose is just a really good sport when it comes to modelling, so I use it as a stand in when I feel camera shy. But I do love Doctor Who and am soooooo excited to see what Peter Capaldi does in the role. Who’s your favourite Doctor so far?

• I agree, you really end up missing a lot when stuck studying literature from a single region. I wish I had more time to delve into Asian literature again. I’m super excited to see Peter Capaldi as the Doctor as well! My favourite Doctor has to be Ten, but I have a major soft spot for Nine because he was my first Doctor. What about you? And do you have a favourite companion?

3. Hi Hania, nice to meet you and welcome to our course of studies – wish you could deliver that cup cake! I hope you will find the opportunities this course offers for writing, reflecting and dialoguing valuable and enjoyable. I too majored in film studies, along with theatre, which came together as “performance and cultural studies” by the time I finished my degrees in 1999. I am looking forward to our summers work together, enjoy.

4. You have an adipose! Does this mean you’re a Whovian?
    And ugh, Fielding does not deserve you coming back to him. I slogged through Tom Jones for a class two years ago, it was painful. I’m actually British, so the vast majority of my life has been spent studying British literature, bar a foray into African Lit in 2nd year and the occasional American novel which creeps into my syllabi. I’m also looking forward to studying some indigenous literature and to move away from that for a while.
    I’m not a great baker, but I love to cook and infuse liqueurs and make my own bitters. My proudest creation so far has been alcoholic marshmallows, and I have recently perfected gluten-free bacon chocolate-chip biscotti.
    What was your favourite indigenous work of film that you studied?

5. As someone who has mostly UK ancestry, I totally share that ‘claustrophobic’ feeling when it comes to such a consistent return to second-tier British lit. It’s impossible to ignore the figureheads, but I’ve had a much more enriching time at UBC when I’ve been studying lesser-known American lit, and a few semesters ago when I got to take a class where I got to read contemporary/20th century African, Middle Eastern, and Caribbean fiction. It’s definitely world-opening when you get to read great things from unfamiliar places and cultures, and it’s something I try to make a concerted effort to do on my own time.

Oh- I’m also a lover of film (a lot of my friends are in Film Studies); I’m looking forward to hearing your perspective on things.
    Emma