Unit One Reflection

June 13, 2022

WRITING

While I was writing the definitions I tried to take a “teacher’s” perspective to really simplify the definition as much as possible. As I understood that most individuals reading this definition would not have extensive knowledge of psychological terms, I chose to focus the language on general terms that the audience (no matter what their background is) could understand the concept. I found this process of breaking down a complex phenomenon to be slightly challenging, but highly engaging. Through this assignment, I was not only able to learn the skills to write a concise definition, but also learn how to generalize topics of complexity.

PEER-REVIEW

When I was self-editing, I was able to apply Andrew’s corrections to my definition. I appreciated his outlook in how adding various examples would make my definitions easier to relate to, as they would provide connections between the experiences of the audience and the text. Through the peer-review I was able to find other grammar or spelling mistakes within my definition, and be able to take the opportunity to correct those as well.

SELF-EDITING

The self-editing part of the assignment was most likely my favourite part of the assignment. By being able to apply these corrections from a different perspective I was able to see the development of my definition. Andrew’s correction of being aware of creating opportunities for the audience to connect with the text is something that I will consider in my future writing pieces. As the primary goal of writing is to create an experience of engagement, I believe that fully understanding who you are writing for and comprehending their goals for reading the text is extremely crucial when completing future writing pieces.

CONCLUSION

Overall, through this exercise, I have learned to – learn how to condense and generalize complex information to the public, how to critically analyze other individuals’ definitions and communicate areas of strengths and weaknesses within their definitions to further strengthen their writing, and take the suggestions provided by a peer to revise my original piece to maximize the prose’s efficiency.

Revised Definition – Hanul

Jo Hempelmann Peer Review for Hanul Seo