Unit 1 Reflection Blog

Writing

The process of writing the definitions assignment was difficult yet rewarding. I had considered many different terms, but ultimately settled on angioplasty due to its widespread usage in healthcare settings and relevance for many people. I enjoyed researching the origins of the word and found the links to ancient Latin and Greek words fascinating. My literature search also uncovered some interesting historical information, specifically how angioplasty is not an entirely modern practice. The information I gathered was useful when incorporating expansion methods into my writing. Although I had used expansion methods like providing examples before, it was useful to see them all presented in a systematic way. These strategies can be utilized in many different forms of writing and will be helpful knowledge going forward.

My background in writing research papers aided in gathering information from outside sources, citing, and writing succinctly. However, I quickly learned that this writing task involved much more than that. I had to explain the process in a way that a non-specialized audience could understand, while most of my research sources used many specialized terms and medical jargon. I also had to adequately explain the term without overwhelming the reader who had little to no background in the subject. My initial attempt at writing was too complex, lengthy, and read too much like a research paper. I used the technical writing tips outlined in the textbook to improve my tone, revise my sentence structure, and reduce the length and complexity dramatically.

Peer-review

Peer-reviewing my group member’s submission provided me with insight on how others approached the assignment and raised questions about my own writing. I was impressed with the organization, flow, and abundance of information that my peer included. I noticed that the tone of our writing was similar, but their writing included more detail. This helped me reflect on my work and see that there was a need for additional clarification. This insight was further validated by my peer’s review of my work, as they mentioned some confusion with my expanded definition and figure. Finally, I found it rewarding to suggest some changes for my peer’s assignment. Although I did not need to suggest any major changes, I hope that my efforts to provide constructive feedback based on my strengths and views was useful.

Revision

My peer provided me with specific, detailed feedback that helped me recognize areas of improvement that I had missed. After reading the feedback it was clear that while trying to reduce information overload, I had omitted too much content. This shortcoming seemed obvious after reading my peer’s suggestions, which shows how useful the peer review process can be. To address this, I included another figure and added to my previous statements in the expanded definition. This process helped me improve in my ability to determine how much information is appropriate, and ultimately strengthened my writing abilities. The insights I gained from the peer review and revision process will be beneficial when approaching future assignments.

Peer-review: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30198a2022s12/2022/06/10/dales-review-of-harveys-definitions/

Revised Definitions: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30198a2022s12/2022/06/13/revised-definitions-harvey-dhaliwal/