Unconventional Ways to De-stress

Over the last two weeks, I’ve gone on a stressful, emotional rollercoaster. For the sake of my stress-induced acne, I’ve had to learn how to deal with my stress. This list consists of things that I’ve done to cope with my stress. Maybe they will work for you, or maybe they won’t. The idea is to get you thinking about the possibilities you have to de-stress, conventional or not.

Hot shower: A steamy stress reliever during which you can reflect and set up your game plan, or just think about nothing and focus on your senses. I find that a shower clears my mind and wakes me up so that I don’t have to read the same sentence again and again.

Push-ups: As much as I initially loathed the fact that I could only handle several wimpy pushups, I added one push-up each day. Now, I can proudly say that I can do 10 tricep pushups followed by 10 regular ones. In addition to my stronger arms, I’m finding that the push-ups do help to relieve some of my stress. I’m so focused on doing my mini-workout and improving my arm strength that I won’t think about my upcoming exams.

Read: As much as this seems counterintuitive, reading something that you enjoy, or in my case, the gossip-full tabloids and magazines can make you happier. I personally like the magazines because they’re full of pictures and funny captions, so it’s not as serious as neurophysiology or anything even close. Reading about someone else’s endeavors takes you away from your own life and perhaps it’s similar to envisioning a getaway to some tropical island (which is another way you can de-stress).

So this is how I’ve been coping. How have you been relieving your stress?

Remember that not everything that works for me will work for you, and what works in one situation might not work in another. For some other ideas, there’s an article in the Student Health 101 e-newsletter on managing stress. Enjoy, and good luck with the rest of your exams!

5 Replies to “Unconventional Ways to De-stress”

1. Thanks for sharing, I just wanted to let you know that your blog doesnt show up perfectly on the blackberry browser but I am probably still in a minority of users.

1. Thanks for the head’s up. Hopefully wordpress or blackberry link up and fixes the little glitch! Hope you enjoyed the post!

2. I just couldnt leave your website before saying that I genuinely enjoyed the quality info you offer to all your visitors. Would be back often to check up on new information in you post!