Residence Life – How to Stay Balanced

Living in residence can be a very over whelming experience for students. For many it is the first time they’ve had to be (almost) fully responsible for themselves and being thrust into an independent lifestyle can lead to some big life changes. It’s definitely a struggle as we students are forced to balance academics and our social lives. It is easy to get caught up in partying and hanging out with your fellow residents then suddenly find yourself eons behind in school work. Another thing that can easily be forgotten is physical health. Without our parents around to stress exercise and healthy eating both practices can easily fall by the wayside.  A few months of nonstop partying, sedentary school activities, and junk food can quickly turn into extra pounds and poor health. So as a student, especially one living in rez where our meals are precooked and our friends are literally ALWAYS around, it is incredibly important to keep making healthy lifestyle choices. Physical exercise of any kind for at least twenty minutes a day paired with healthy food choices, i.e. avoid the fried/greasy/breaded/cheesy stuff, can really make a difference! And as tempting as it is to stay up all night with friends chatting, make sure to get some sleep! Make a schedule of your days so you have a good ratio of school to fun times. Living a healthy well-balanced lifestyle is easy and only requires a few simple choices that make all the difference in the end!

This article is brought to you by the Place Vanier Health and Wellness Committee.  If you need some tips along the way for a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle, become a fan of the Healthy Minds facebook page, and get tips each week for different aspects of your student life!

12 Replies to “Residence Life – How to Stay Balanced”

1. Thanks for sharing, please keep us posting about this info. I’d like to read it more.

2. I know this is really boring and you you want to skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thank you – you cleared up some things for me!

3. I really think loseing weight is not too hard if you exercise regularly and don’t ever eat the fast food. Unluckily, for some people it’s not easy to do so.

4. I love sports and I love health care . I really be careful for my health . Thank you very much for this post .