Eating on a Budget

As a student trying to make their way through a degree, high tuition costs may be hard to swallow. Some of you might have multiple jobs just to keep up with your bills. Keep reading to learn how you can stretch your food dollars because healthy eating keeps you nourished and focussed to reach a  fulfilled career.

1. Plan ahead. Make a shopping list and browse for coupons before hitting up the grocery store.
  2. Stop at the bulk aisle. Buying in bulk is often much cheaper than pre-packaged foods.
  3. Buy generic store brands. They’re less expensive than their brand-name counterpart, and the quality is comparable between the two.
  4. Eat breakfast at home or if you’re on the run, bring some food from home. Imagine all the money you’d save if you didn’t have to buy your daily breakfast coffee and muffin.
  5. Share with friends. For the most bang for your buck, buy the mega-pack and split it with some friends. Or, get together for potluck nights. There might even be enough for tomorrow’s lunch.

Adapted from the University of Alberta Health Centre’s Healthy Eating on a Budget: A Student Handbook. In it, you’ll find the best buys for grain products, fruits and vegetables, milk products, and meat and alternatives.

If you have some good tips, please feel free to share. Here are some other sites I have found helpful:

Dietitians of Canada FAQ: Getting the most nutrition from your food dollar

Buying local and in-season produce with Act Now BC

Dietitians of Canada factsheet: Celebrate food… from field to table

5 Replies to “Eating on a Budget”

1. You wouldn’t believe it but I have wasted all day digging for some content articles about this. You’re a lifesaver, it was an excellent study and has helped me out to no end. Cheers,

2. This really is my very first time i visit here. I discovered so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I’m not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the great work.

3. Sound good. Its also my favorite topic.That’s great andthanks for the fine sharring.

4. Great, thanks for sharing this article post.Really thank you! Will read on…