Get Moving!

Now that a new school year is starting, many of you are probably coming up with your fitness plan. From personal experience, I can say that planning to get up at six every day for a run, go to the gym three times a week, and do pilates and yoga ever other day is just setting yourself up for failure. Unless you already exercise a couple hours a day, this plan is just not realistic no matter how great you think it would make you look and feel. So here are some tips to come up with a plan that can last past the first midterm.

1. Exercise with a friend. When someone else is involved, skipping the gym in favour of the tv is much less likely. Keep each other on track, and also enjoy the time you get to catch up.
  2. Start Slow. If you don’t exercise much, deciding to do yoga three times a week, or go for a half-hour walk every day is a much better bet than planning to work out like a professional athlete. Being realistic with you plan now will increase your chances of success.
  3. Above all, you must enjoy what you are doing. When the sun stops shining and the famous Vancouver rain is pelting your window, it’s going to take something amazing to get you out of bed. Check out Shopping Week by UBC REC; this is a free way to find out what you really enjoy and could commit to.

What is your plan for this year?

2 Replies to “Get Moving!”

1. I wish more people would write blogs like this that are actually fun to read. With all the fluff floating around on the internet, it is refreshing to read a blog like yours instead.

2. Was actually doing a search and came across this blog site. I must say that this info is what I was searching for! Keep it up. We will be reading your posts