Go Green- Thrive For Your Mental Health

As the weather in Vancouver slowly starts to get more and more summer-like, I’m sure that many of you (like myself) have kicked your outdoor hobbies back into gear. The mental health benefits that stem from physical activity are increasingly becoming common knowledge, but did you know that exercising outdoors could offer even more benefits than plain-old working out at the gym?

I recently came across an article online that described a study conducted on 38 mentally fatigued university students. Some of the students were asked to go on a 50 minute walk through urban settings and others in green space. The results found that those students who had taken a walk in a natural setting had a better cognitive performance than those who had gone for walks in an urban setting.

So where on U.B.C. campus can you find somewhere naturally stimulating for a walk or fresh air?

I recently went on a tour of the U.B.C. Farm for the first time in my academic career. I was impressed by how beautiful it was, and how it suddenly felt as though I had entirely left the city. What impressed me even more was that the tour guide told our group that the Farm was open to the community and students. Students are more than welcome to come and find a spot in the grass to study or have a picnic on a nice day.

So this summer take it (whatever your “it” is) outside!