Tips for Exercising

Exercise, Once Upon a Time?

I used to exercise a lot while I was in high school. Running, swimming, and going for walks were something I did, and enjoyed doing. Unfortunately, coming to university changed this. I felt stressed with the workload; school and my social life became my sole focus. In my mind exercise could wait. Exercise became the thing I did once in a while, when I had time to breath. Last summer however, having the time to spare, I reminisced on many things. One thought being that I love exercising and I shouldn’t have stopped just because I was busy. So little by little I accommodated it into my schedule and I am happy to say that to this day I make time to exercise 3 or 4 times a week!

I would like to share the tips that have helped me succeed along the way:

1. Schedule it – I have realized that whatever I schedule, I do! It especially helps when you do schedule exercise on the same day, at the same time every week.
  2. Believe it – Believe you exercise. Tell yourself it is something you do, and you might just start doing it.  I was taking the wrong attitude before, telling myself constantly “I used to exercise.”
  3. Music it – Make a playlist of upbeat, gangster, or techno songs that will help you keep motivated as you exercise.
  4. Change it up – Run, dance, walk, ice skate, roller blade, play football, play rugby and practice yoga. You don’t have to conventionally exercise in order to stay fit, do what works for you. Do what you enjoy, and if you don’t enjoy exercising, trying doing something you don’t consider being exercise, but that gets you moving!

Remember: Exercise is good for your brain!

Image Credit: Lululemon Athletica