Breaking into Biking

Here comes that feeling you thought you’d forgotten. Sun on your cheek, cool breeze in your hair, and a big smile on your face as you whip down hills and around corners on your favourite two-wheeled machine.

Riding a bicycle doesn’t have to be an ancient past-time that your ten-year-old self used to enjoy. It can be a fun way to get around and stay active, especially in Vancouver.

With the convenience afforded by public transit, it’s easy to forget about the amazing infrastructure built for cyclists and to simply hop onto a bus to get where you need to go. Trust me, I’ve been there.

However, in an effort to avoid paying $100 a month for a bus pass during the summer (I wasn’t eligible for a Upass, sadly), I decided to invest in a cheap, lightweight, fixed-gear bicycle to get me around in the slowly warming weather.

And boy, has it been worth it.

Currently, I’m living in Kitsilano near Alma but working in both Gastown and at UBC. By bus, it’s about 35 minutes to downtown and 20 minutes to UBC in rush hour traffic. In total, I usually end up spending over an hour on buses, listening mindlessly to music and avoiding eye contact with people.

However, by riding my fixie, it takes me only ten more minutes each way because I get to dodge traffic on all of the nifty bike lanes scattered throughout the city. Not only do I save money and prevent the emission of greenhouse gases, I also get tons of fresh air and over an hour of feel-good cardio, everyday!

And, if by chance it starts raining or if I’m in a hurry, it’s easy to hop back on pubic transit with my bike since most buses and the Skytrains are built to accommodate cyclists.

So, what are you waiting for?¬†Get out there and start riding, just don’t forget a helmet!

Looking for a super-cool custom bicycle for cheap? Check out Republic Bike!

Planning a cycling trip around the city? Check out the Vancouver Cycling Planner!

One Reply to “Breaking into Biking”

1. Cycling is in no way only for the 10-year-olds. Its a fun past time activity to keep you fit and in shape after 8 tedious hours of work in the office. However, Ive always wanted to built myself a bike, but in the sense of going to a store and telling the guy _ I want this and this and this. Thats why that RepublicBike store might be useful for me!