Fun, Easy, and Healthy Recipes Series- Post 1

Do find that you don’t have time to eat healthy?

I felt the same way for a long time when I was a student and living on my own. This was when I really started to appreciate how nice it was living at home with my mom preparing most of my meals.

However, I decided that not having enough time wasn’t an excuse to not eat healthy.

Flickr Image: Fruit Salad by Jennifer from SweetOnVeg

Tips that I have used to stay healthy and manage my time: 

• Menu planning for the week: Decide what you want to make each day (for at least one meal) so that you can be prepared and make sure you have all the items on hand. Creating a menu also helps you commit to making certain items each day of the week and staying healthy and not giving into pesky cravings.
  • Strategic grocery shopping: Make sure you create a list of things that you need before going to the store so that you get everything that you need and you don’t end up picking up extra items that aren’t healthy.  This will prevent you from having to make multiple trips to the store each week, which will save time.
  • Walk the perimeter of the grocery store: When shopping for food start by walking the perimeter of the store before entering the isles. All the fresh and less processed food can be found here i.e. produce, milk, fresh baked goods/breads etc. This will hopefully prevent you from buying unnecessary processed snack items, such as chips and candy.
  • Don’t go grocery shopping when you’re hungry: Shopping when you are hungry will make you impulse buy. You will see something unhealthy and want to get it. So try to go shopping after you have eaten to make sure that you don’t end up buying items that you don’t need and that aren’t good for you.
  • Try and set up weekly dinners with friends: Get a couple of friends together and make a pact to make dinner for each other or together once a week, you can take turns hosting. This is a fun way to try new recipes and to hang out with friends and have a healthy home cooked meal.

If you need more tips or advice on how to stay healthy call 8-1-1 on weekdays (9am – 5pm) from anywhere in British Columbia to speak with a dietitian about nutrition and healthy eating.

Health Canada Website 

Stayed tuned for more nutrition related posts that feature videos on how to make cheap, easy, and healthy meals!

One Reply to “Fun, Easy, and Healthy Recipes Series- Post 1”