Cook a lot and save for later!

Fun, Easy, and Healthy Recipes Series- Post 2

I find that if I cook a lot at once it saves me time and it is an easy way to deal with my cravings. When I am craving something sweet I often end up eating something unhealthy, unless I have left overs from a big cooking session. For example, I will make healthy muffins and freeze the extras for later (perfect way to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings). All I have to do is pop one in the microwave and they are good to go.

Another one of my favorite things to do it make a lot of granola at once and continue to use it for the rest of the month. This is really great because it makes a healthy breakfast (have it with yogurt and/or fresh fruit) or it can be a healthy snack option. I think granola is really fun to make and continues to be a great healthy option for a long time. You can also easily change up the granola recipe to play with the flavors. It is really easy to add different dried fruits, nuts etc.

Check out this video on how to make great granola brought to you by the UBC Wellness Centre’s Nutrition Team (2012).

YouTube Preview Image

Here are some other items that you can cook a lot of and save for later. 

Lasagna, Soup, Stews, Chilli, Broth and Stock, Pasta, Casseroles, Baked Goods, burgers and the list goes on.

**Make sure you invest in good storage containers if you are freezing items (freezer burn is the worst).  Also, label items with dates and the contents so you know what is in each container and how long it has been there.

Also, see post 1 for general nutrition related tips