Creative Ways to use Summer Fruit!

Fun, Easy, and Healthy Recipes Series- Post 3

One of my favorite things about summer is all the fruit that becomes abundant! There is so many different things that you can do with it and there are so many options for fruits to try.

Check out this video on how to make healthy blueberry muffins brought to you by the UBC Wellness Centre’s Nutrition Team (2012).

YouTube Preview Image

What to do with Summer Fruit:

Eat it fresh: Sometimes I think nothing is better than eating fresh summer fruit, my favorite is right off the plant (go and try u-pick blueberries, strawberries…I swear it will change how you feel about food).

Baking: There are so many different things that you can bake with fresh fruits. For example, pies (mmmmm pie), muffins, cakes, crumbles and the list goes on. However, consider finding healthy recipes that call for less sugar and fat (oil/butter), and try and find recipes that use whole wheat flour or bran, have nuts in them etc.

Freeze them: Freezing fruit for later is a great option, especially for things that are only available for a small period during the year, this way you can use it all year round.

Smoothies: Making smoothies is an easy way to reach your vegetable and fruit servings for the day. It is easy to blend up different fruits and veggies and have it as a healthy snack. Smoothie recipes are abundant on the internet, but my favorite thing to do is just play around with different things. Use your instinct…if you think it will taste good together odds are it will! Try using water, milk, yogurt, or different juices as bases.

See post 1 for nutrition related general tips

See post 2 for the benefits of cooking lots and saving it for later (and a granola making video)