Koalas, Kangaroos and Kookaburras, oh Exchange!

Crossing one off the to do’s in life – Scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef

At this time one year ago, I was in the midst of finishing up my semester abroad on exchange in Australia- otherwise known as “The Land Down Under” or affectionately in my head “The Land of Backwards.” It’s hard to believe that it was only a year ago that I was off diving the Great Barrier Reef, leaping off New Zealand’s highest bungy jump, viewing the horizon off the top of the Donne Glacier, hearing Australian accents all the time, meeting heaps of people from around the world and learning at a different university- I can’t forget that of course…. All of these experiences were only made possible through EXCHANGE!!

The place I called home for half a year.

It’s strange to say that one of my most memorable things about my time at UBC was actually being away from UBC. Everyone has different reasons for going away on Exchange (here’s mine); the thrill of the unknown and my own craving for adventure were probably my biggest motivators in going to the other side of the world. New experiences, new perspectives and an overall better understanding of who I was as person came out of it as I stared off into the ever so symmetrical Australian sunsets (which I should have done more often). And the learning from mistakes too!

One of the sunsets I mentioned, this one at St. Kilda Beach.

It’s easy to say that going on Exchange is like taking a vacation, which is definitely supported by all of my travelling I reckon, but it is what you make of it in end. I made an attempt at blogging my experiences, which was a lot harder than I thought it would, but by doing that it’s created a way to look back on some of the awesome things I did. I also created a bucket list of things I wanted to do while on Exchange and ended up refining that down to things that I would actually have time to do, as I slowly realized that Australia is a huge country to visit. It just means that I will have to make a return trip sometime!

Cape Peron

Interested?? Being able to go away for a semester is a huge privilege and if you are able to take the plunge and go on one, do it! Applications for exchanges to Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Latin America are open until January 17th! And if you happen to be heading down under, leave a comment! I would love to chat with you and answer any questions.

The Four ‘Corners’ of Mainland Australia