No Time to Make Breakfast or Pack a Lunch?

Nowadays, I find that one of the biggest challenges I face due to me busy schedule is finding the time to make myself a quick and healthy breakfast in the morning and packing a lunch-to-go.  I am currently working full time on my co-op term; this means that I typically leave my house on campus around 7:30AM to transit downtown, and I get home late in the evening.  And once I do finally get home, a lot of my time goes towards housework such as catching up on my laundry or washing the dishes.  I’m sure those of you that live on your own with a full course-load or full-time work can relate to this!  Although it took me awhile to adapt to my busy schedule, I found an effective routine to stay on top of my healthy eating.

A typical lunch I would pack the night before — Chicken wraps, granola bar, banana, yogurt, cheese string, and a peeled orange.

Here are some quick and healthy breakfast ideas:

• Oatmeal (add brown sugar, nuts, fresh fruit or milk for added flavor)
  •  Whole-grain cereals (Cheerios, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Fiber One, Raisin Bran)
  • Bagel with light cream cheese
  • Greek yogurt with honey, fresh fruit, and granola
  • Fruit and Cheese (Sliced apples with cheddar cheese is my favourite)
  • Fruit or Vegetable smoothie (Great smoothie ideas here)
  • Toast with eggs and ham, or make a simple breakfast wrap

Here are lunches and snacks that are easy to pack for school or work:

• Pasta
  • Chicken wraps with chicken breast, lettuce, onions, and peppers topped with ranch dressing – try different dressings or vegetables!
  • Sandwiches
  • Leftover dinner from the night before
  • Yogurt packs
  • Cheese string, cheese with crackers and ham
  • Trail mix
  • Fruits: bananas, apples, sliced oranges, strawberries, grapes
  • Vegetables with dip: peppers, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, celery
  • Granola bars

I recommend preparing everything the night before, so that in the morning you can focus on getting ready for school or work, and preparing a healthy breakfast.

I’ve only listed a few ideas above that I have found easy to grocery shop for and prepare. But remember, the list can go on. Be creative, and try different versions of salads, pastas, whatever it may be to your liking. Plan ahead on what ingredients you need before you go grocery shopping, and make a list if it helps. It is important to make time to prepare your own meals because not only is it much healthier than eating out, it will save you substantial amounts of money.