Get Thirsty, Get Quenched

Now that it’s getting closer to summer, the weather is getting warmer and without even knowing it, you start to replace your hot teas or latte’s for the go-to summer Starbucks iced frappuccino’s, or those famous slushies from your local 7/11.

While surfing the web, I found a cold citrus mint tea drink recipe that seemed simple enough to try out, and I am so glad I did. I made a couple of my own changes to this recipe and I thought I would share! Replace that unhealthy go-to drink for this healthier option that will quench your thirst, is simple and easy to make at home, and tastes great!

What you need:

• Green tea (6 cups)
  • 1 Orange (Grapefruit will work too)
  • 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
  • 4 Tbsp. Lime juice (This was not on the original recipe but I recommend adding it for extra flavor- I found it a little plain otherwise)

In a large measuring cup or pitcher, place 6 green tea bags, a sliced up orange and 4 tablespoons of lime juice. Add 6 cups of boiled water and let it steep for 5 minutes or longer. Once the tea has cooled down a little bit (use your judgement), add the mint leaves. Stir the mixture, and place in fridge to cool overnight. Serve over ice! It’s that simple.

Health Benefits of this Drink:

•  Green tea has rich anti-oxidants and nutrients that have many healthy effects on the body: kills bacteria and may reduce chances of infection, protects cells and molecules from damage, burns fat, and boosts metabolism.
  • Oranges are rich in Vitamin C, which participates in antioxidant protection and immune support. They also contain fibre which lowers cholesterol levels, and helps maintain blood sugar level under control. Oranges are also a source of folate, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), vitamin B1, potassium, copper, and calcium.