Life’s Unexpected Moments

There are times we face waves of unexpected moments (Photo credits: Cordelia Mejin)

Winter has gone, spring has come and summer is on its way. Cherry blossoms have bloomed and fallen to the ground. They are not here forever, and- to put it bluntly- neither are we, which makes it all the more important for us to make our lives count while we can.

“I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow” – Casting Crowns

In life, there are many unexpected moments. Some bring us love, joy, laughter, smiles, happiness and celebration, and others bring more negative feelings of grief, shock, despair, regret, anger, or hurt. Recently, the mysterious disappearance of the Malaysian Airlines plane, the sinking of a South Korean ferry, numerous other shocking events around the world, and unexpected events in my personal life got me to really start thinking seriously about unforeseen circumstances. I am once again reminded that life is extremely unpredictable. We do not know what will tomorrow bring. We can make plans, and dreams but sometimes things just don’t go the way we want them to. In short, we don’t know how long we- or our loved ones- will be here on earth. Sometimes we do not want to think about all these things because it may cause fear or anxiety… But what if we started to look at those feelings from a different perspective?

1) Cherish every moment: Do not waste precious time waiting for the weekend or the holiday or for September, and most of all do not take anyone or any moment for granted. I barely get to spend time with my loved ones so I try my best to cherish each moment with my family and boyfriend.This summer, no matter what your plans are, make it a point to make what really matters a priority. Spend as much time as you can with your loved ones. If like me, you have a short time with them, make the little time you have with them as memorable as you can – appreciate them and tell them you love them because you never know when is your last chance to do so. If you can’t spend time with them in person, reach out to them by calling or sending a text to them.

2) Be resilient: Many unexpected circumstances came up for me regarding my summer plans. There were times I felt so overwhelmed that I wasn’t sure if I could handle it all. Even during the school year it can sometimes be hard to find the meaning of studying for good grades. When things suddenly get tough, try and learn to see the beauty in your storms – it is through the storms that your character is made stronger and more beautiful. When you look back, you will find that it is those tough moments that made you who you are today.

3) Allow yourself and others to smile, laugh, and even cry: Lets face it, life is hard. It isn’t realistic to expect others or yourself to be stay completely positive when sad or painful things unexpectedly happen. Sometimes, I just let myself cry when I feel too overwhelmed. When the unexpected happens and you cannot handle it, let go of your need to be strong all the time and let yourself cry if you need to. After letting go of the tears that are weighing you down you will be able to stand up again and walk. If someone you know is facing a hard time, help and encourage them to do the same.

” …When the current pulls you under, And your heart beats like thunder. Just give me your hand, and hold on, hold on!
Until the storm is over, and I’ll be fighting for you.
Just give me your hand and, Hold on!” – Hold On lyrics (33 Miles) 

Life is a beautiful gift. Take advantage of that every day. What really matters? If this was your last moment on earth, what would you want to do with it?  I would love to hear from you!

One Reply to “Life’s Unexpected Moments”

1. Outside the ubc gymnastic classes for kids. Some one put together
    6 tips for National Mental health week. I really liked the advice and how it was
    put together. The comments above is good, but the other information had more
    and would be nice addition to what is said here. I was hoping it was on your website
    to pass on to a friend.