Mental Health Symposium 2017

In the Philippines, where I grew up, mental health was often not the first thing that came up in conversations. Physical health, yes. But mental health, almost never. It was only after I moved to Vancouver in 2011 and found myself struggling with anxiety that I learned how real it was.

After my own experience with mental health, I was motivated to start learning more about it and to find ways of helping others who were grappling with it as well. In 2014, that came in the form of UBC’s Mental Health Symposium, which is an annual event that aims to give students practical tools and knowledge about mental health.

I stumbled upon the symposium at a resource fair, and was so excited to find an avenue to be able to learn from different people about mental health. I was expecting a day full of workshops, and discovered that the Mental Health Symposium was so much more than that. At the symposium, not only did I gain practical knowledge, but I also left feeling inspired by the individuals who shared their personal mental health challenges so openly and who were passionate about creating positive change.

Since then I have continued to find ways to get involved in community building, people-centered mental health initiatives. This work has continued to help me build community and inspiration at UBC.

This year, I am privileged to be able to co-chair the symposium that gave me so much three years ago. It gave me knowledge but also the reassurance that I was not alone in what I was experiencing. Now, It’s my turn to give back. With warmth and excitement, I invite you to:

What: The 2017 Mental Health Symposium

When: February 11th from 10am-5pm

Where: Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability.

The Mental Health Symposium is an annual event organized by students, for students. Through conversations, informative workshops, and inspiring speeches, the Mental Health Symposium 2017 aims to build a supportive community of people who are equipped to challenge stigma and inspired to promote mental health and wellness at UBC. Free breakfast and lunch will be provided. For more details on the workshops and to register visit:

Post written by: Clarice Chan, Mental Health and Wellbeing Assistant and Naomi Schatz