Summer Plans

A well-planned summer can be the best-spent summer:

With exams coming to a halt, Summer 2017 has finally arrived! Have you spent some time to plan out how you want to spend your summer? Here are a couple of things to keep in mind so you can plan your summer break and make the most of it.

1) Planning your summers:

As much as summer is meant for relaxing, some structure and planning is important too. One of the the little things that give me joy is to make lists. Google Calendar has recently become my best friend along with my journal. Having this visual guide really helps solidify my future plans so I can be on track with all the goals I’ve set. Summer days can really fly by, so planning ahead can help boost your productivity.

2) Have fun in the sun; stay safe too!

Get your dose of vitamin D but remember to stay sun-safe and apply sunscreen. Read our blogpost Fun in the Sun for more details on ways to stay safe under those UV rays.

3) Learn A Skill or Two:

As mentioned earlier, a productive summer to me means a fine balance of relaxing and learning. Summer is the perfect time to gain a new skill or two.

• Sign up for classes! Learn something you’ve always wanted but never had the time to. Not only are new skillsets cool to boast, but they can help you stand out from the crowd for potential job searches.

Employers are always looking for candidates who can bring an extra skill or two to the table.

• For example, take the time to learn softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Microsoft Excel, or hone in on your public speaking and cooking skills.

Do something out of your comfort zone. As a matter of fact, start your own blog—heck, why not?! There are various organizations and websites around Vancouver that offer one-month courses that you can enrol in to enhance your skills.

• EdX and Brainstation are several examples of organisations that offer short courses such as web development, robotics, and user interface design.

4) Keep your eyes peeled for potential exchange opportunities:

Ever dream of studying in Paris, Tokyo, or maybe London? UBC offers many great learning and research opportunities abroad such as exchanges and global seminars.

Around this time, UBC Go Global is accepting Round 2 applications for their exchange programs in Term 2, or Split Year (going away away for a full academic year starting in Term 2).

• Our fellow Wellness Peer and Healthy Minds Blogger, Kleo is headed to Warsaw, Poland to learn about the psychology of Genocide this summer.
  • I’m also excited to be heading to Hong Kong and Kaiping to learn about the history of Chinese migration.

These international learning opportunities can really help students gain well-rounded learning experiences.

5) Travel and Explore BC:

Nothing spells summer more than travelling and expanding your horizons. For those who are staying in BC over the summer, you don’t even have to go far to witness new sights. British Columbia has so much to offer!

• Go bicycling in Stanley Park–a must-do in Vancouver.
  • Or camping in BC’s beautiful Pacific Northwest forests.
  • Plan a road trip to Pemberton, Whistler, Okanagan or Squamish.
  • Lynn Canyon’s swimming holes in North Vancouver is another must-go during Vancouver’s warmest season. (Checkout this instagram @hellobc and get inspired!)

Something that I’ve always wanted to do is explore BC’s natural hot springs–especially Key Holes Hot Springs. You may be pleasantly surprised at how many amazing locations there are to visit.

Now get planning! The Wellness Peers wish you a great summer!

Post written by Jenny X.