Best Places to Relax at UBC

Cover photo: Vancouver Public Library (Nitobe Memorial Garden)

Having a break in my class schedule, in between all the lectures and labs, is always something I look forward to throughout the day. I love having some down time to eat my lunch, chat with my friends or just listen to some music. Finding a quiet place to do so can sometimes be a challenge but taking time out of our busy schedule is critical for our wellbeing. It can give us the energy to get us through the rest of our day. Here are some of my favourite relaxing spots on campus that give me the opportunity to re-charge my batteries:

Love being outside? A walk can be a great way to relax and get some exercise in. The Nitobe Memorial Garden and UBC Botanical Gardens are gorgeous to take a stroll in and UBC students get in free! 

If you’re short on time, taking a quick detour to see The Rose Garden always reminds me how lucky I am to attend school on such a beautiful campus.

Looking for peace and quiet? When I need time to myself, I always headto Koerner Library. The 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th floor are all silent study spaces.

You’ll see students getting some serious studying done, watching TV, reading or catching up on some Z’s, all in blissful silence! You can also head to the main floor of the Life Sciences Building which has lots of seating, and natural light to keep your mood up.

Room with a view? The lounging area above the UBC bookstore! There is comfortable seating and the glass walls give you a great view of a central part of campus that is always pulsing with activity. Alternatively, you can also grab a seat in The Forestry Science Center Student lounge. With it’s dark wood columns resembling towering tree trunks and lush greenery, the building is a beautiful example of how the outside can be brought in. Bonus: It’s next to Tim Hortons!

Although UBC campus and one’s school year can get very busy, it’s important to take time out of our days in order to re-energize. Next time you have a break, kick back and enjoy the beauty our campus has to offer.

Post written by Gavin Shinger