Access over Trends

Let us know about your vision?

Welcome to the future! I am not sure that I am confident that I could predict the trends in technology that will shape the world and education in 10 years as Alexander did. Nor would I have the confidence to predict even 2 or 4 or 6 years into the future.

At the same time, whatever utopian vision of technology may or may not exist in the future, I think that a more important point if there was an ‘ideal’ would be that there are varying degrees of meeting this ideal standard or not. Let me explain what I mean by this. In the year 2016, in the K-12 education systems, there are huge discrepancies among what and how education is offered. Globally we have a range of accessibility and hardware such as large international schools abroad that offer 1-to-1 computer use for their students to underfunded public school systems which lag behind running old operating systems on bulky old computers. Worse yet are places in the world where they still struggle to use basic paper and pencil technology to run their classroom due to lack of resources, this spectrum of having and have-nots will still be part of the education world as I see it in the future.

What was it that “wowed” you?

Alexander (2014) comments that all post-secondary classes would be flipped by 2024 in the Two Cultures scenario. I would love to see the end to large traditional lecture style classes in post-secondary institutions. This style of ‘chalk and talk’ teaching is antiquated and doesn’t relate to current educational research. It also means that there is a significant divide between the style of teaching in most K-12 classrooms and the style of teaching in some post-secondary institutions.

What are your concerns?

As described in my vision, my concern lies in who has access to technology. It doesn’t matter what the best/ ideal technology is and how it is used if that is only accessible to a small portion of students globally.

How do you see yourself in shaping the landscape?

I hope that my future teaching practise is focussed on providing the best possible learning environment for my students. I am a huge proponent of technology in education with the caveat that the technology is bettering learning, not an add-on, not a distraction but a truly better way for students to learn and to express their knowledge. I hope that I will be a critical consumer and user of technology and that I can also instill these values in my students.

Alexander, B. (2014). Higher education in 2014: Glimpsing the future. Educause Review, 4(5) Retrieved from http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/higher-education-2024-glimpsing-future?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email+marketing&utm_campaign=EDUCAUSE

Bates, T. (2014). MOOCs. In Teaching in digital age. Retrieved fromhttp://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/part/chapter-7-moocs/ (Chapter 5)

New Media Consortium. (2015). NMC Horizon Report 2015: Higher ed edition. Retrieved from http://cdn.nmc.org/media/2015-nmc-horizon-report-HE-EN.pdf