Risk Takers

Article found here.

Our classes on innovation and entrepreneurship, and CSR and the social enterprise provided a welcome perspective on the emerging importance of meaning and originality in the modern world. Still, I believe it was the alumni day that brought it together for me and reading this article, I see things in the business and in the person behind it that I might have previously overlooked.

Nicole Bridger

Nicole Bridger’s story reminded me of Jenny Duffy: business students who used a practical degree to turn a dream into reality. What’s more, it’s clear that their motivation is passion for what they do and what they stand for, and that lets them give back to society in a meaningful way. They’ve turned a career into a vocation.

How to Social Enterprise
The How To for social enterprise.

My last blog entry highlighted the dangers of playing it safe. This example shows the reward that comes from risk. While untouched bank accounts stagnate the German economy, investing time, money, and passion into worthwhile causes creates positive flow in the economy, society, and self. Bridger’s experience also reminded me of Nolan Watson’s, in that they both sought experience first and that allowed them the ability to successfully manage their own start up. Business, and especially business with meaning (which is quickly becoming recognized as arguably the best kind) requires the desire to learn, the ability to take risks, some experience, some practicality, and a lot of passion and purpose. That, more than anything, is what I’ve learned.