Conceiving of a SMART Future

I never liked SMART goals much. Organizational behavioural research indicates that goal-setting, while useful for ensuring accountable completion of simple tasks, is a hindrance for completing complex tasks – especially as a team. Call me high-achieving, but rigorous goal-setting is not my thing; I believe in doing what needs to get done when the time comes, and employing a general sensibility about it.

At least this formula works for me. All the same, I understand the usefulness for some people of getting specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely things done – it’s just not my cup of tea. Besides, I think it’s impossible to accurately conceive of the future at an implementation level.

But it seems strange to me so many Sauder students have either a) their path very clearly planned out, or b) have no idea what is in their future to the extreme extent of not knowing what is held in the future of the school structure they have ascribed to at all. Baffling as this may be, I think a greater emphasis needs to be placed on students’ futures at school, rather than their present. I think the career support network we have needs more focus, rather than, say, blind academia; even in first year.

Be specific as to how, for example, I will be doing, rather than have.