What We, For Example, Pay For

If you take a look in front of the Sauder building you’ll see some pretty well-kept rows of plants and grass fields. If you stayed and watched, you’d see how much work is actually required not just to make but to upkeep these plots of greenery. That is to say, if you think about where your tuition goes walking around campus, you’ll see that you pay a premium for sitting in a lecture hall listening to Profs drone on and on about irrelevant topics – for an education.

But I’m not being fair, am I? I mean, is that what you really come to university for? Comm 101 is a survey business course; for example, in finance, we talked about the price value of money. If you think about it, the money you spend now on your education could be worth countless dollars down the road, but then what is useful to you? Can you quantify the usefulness of knowledge, speaking fairly? What, to you, is useful knowledge? I think students are too focused on the “useful content” of their textbooks, and not making learning matter; students who come to university to learn should learn to make that learning useful; not hoard grades/degrees. Maybe then, they’ll learn to make the most out of every dollar, and for the rest of our lives, that might be a useful education.