Lesson 1:2

Standard
7. At the beginning of this lesson I pointed to the idea that technological advances in communication tools have been part of the impetus to rethink the divisive and hierarchical categorizing of literature and orality, and suggested that this is happening for a number of reasons.  I’d like you to consider two aspects of digital literature: 1) social media tools that enable widespread publication, without publishers, and 2) Hypertext, which is the name for the text that lies beyond the text you are reading, until you click. How do you think these capabilities might be impacting literature and story?

I would first like to address the importance of widespread publication through the use of social media tools, as I believe that this is one of the more important aspects of the digital technology on literature. Throughout this response, I will be using the term ‘user’ to refer towards the people who are consuming the literature and digital content that is being offered through digital platforms from the author.

In many of my courses, we have discussed the invention of the internet as having a profound impact on expanding what users are able to see as well as offering a platform where users can find content that deviates from what a publisher believes should be visible. Not only this, users and authors can offer unique viewpoints that publishers or broadcasters cannot access, especially in the case of news broadcasting. Online platforms have done much for literature, as well as film and television with online websites such as Netflix offering unique content. Avoiding publishers through self-publication on the internet allows an author to present a large audience with their work, as well as presenting the user with stories that may not have been presented by publishers. Self-publication gives voice to storytellers that may otherwise remain invisible towards both the publisher and user.

Hypertext is also important in online documents because it provides the user with even more options. Hypertext is not required to be clicked on, but when it is utilized, the user is given access to a wider amount of knowledge. It can also lead the user towards similar content, if they so chose, or content that is supported by the author.  The use of these links create a web that comes from the main story and threads out to other content that is linked by the author. The web grows as user submitted content is linked to by authors and shared by the user, spreading stories across the internet in a way that is not possible with traditional publication.

The most important thing about hypertext, in my opinion, is that is gives a certain amount of agency back towards the user that is not offered in traditional ink and paper publications. In fact, the main advantages of digital technology on literature are focused on the agency of both the user and the author. It also provides visibility to a multitude of voices, whether it is the always baffling dinosaur erotica or fan fiction turned bestseller, it also expands the choices that the user has when it comes to consuming the content. The user is not confined to the bestseller list or what is offered by the publisher. At this time, I can only think of advantages towards online content, though I am sure there are some disadvantages. For the time being, I remain optimistic about the future of online literature and self-publishing, in that the exposure to a multitude of stories can lead to an enriching experience for both the user and the author.

Taken by the T-Rex (Dinosaur Erotica). Amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/Taken-T-Rex-Dinosaur-Erotica-Christie-ebook/dp/B00FI9JFFO. Accessed September 2016.

Bertrand, Natasha. “‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ started out as ‘Twilight’ fan fiction before becoming an international phenomenon.” Business Insider, 17 Feb. 2015, www.businessinsider.com/fifty-shades-of-grey-started-out-as-twilight-fan-fiction-2015-2. Accessed 17 September 2016.

Cobben, Ingrid. “Social media: The leading source of breaking news video.” The Media Online, 5 Sept. 2016, http://themediaonline.co.za/2016/09/social-media-the-leading-source-of-breaking-news-video. Accessed 17 September 2016.

Wright, Alex. “The Secret History of Hypertext.” The Atlantic, 22 May 2014,  www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/in-search-of-the-proto-memex/371385. Accessed 17 September 2016.

5 thoughts on “Lesson 1:2

1. ali

Hello Hope Prince, I’ve enjoyed reading your answer with the focus on the importance of publication through media tools. Your examples of news broadcasting and Nexflix as offering material outside the published arena are solid. And there is such truth in self-publication giving voice to storytellers.

2. ali

Sorry, posted my last “Thought” post early so here is part 2!
    I also think you have summarized how Hyperlinks function between reader and writer very well. You questioning if there are even any downsides that exist with self-publishing has me thinking on it. I have always thought self-publishing whether online or in print is positive and should be an option. I think that with many new inventions, such as, Blogging/Hyperlinks there is a pendulum swing of positivity energy where innovative creations appear due to the new discovery but, as time goes by, restrictions or changes are put on for the possible downsides ( ie dating site moderation or no pseudonyms on Facebook). I am interested to know if you think that Blogging with Hyperlinks has changed publishing for good and the newfound freedom will prevail?

• HopePrince

Thank you for your comments! I am still having a bit of trouble thinking of the negatives of online publishing myself. I think that what social media does for publishing has so many positives, and the negatives pale in comparison.
      In regards to your question on Hyperlinks, I am not quite sure if they have changed publishing for good. On one hand, it’s difficult to find a blog post these days without hyperlinks that give the reader the freedom to pursue the information they want. However, hyperlinks have done very little to change traditional publishing institutions, if we are talking about ink and paper publications. The only area I can see them linking together is within ebooks. For example, I have the ebook version of Game of Thrones, which contains links to additional maps and appendices that I can use my device to investigate.
      I do believe that the freedom of online publishing will prevail, though. Perhaps not in its current form, because digital content and social media are constantly evolving. I do think that, now that authors have the freedom of self-publishing, it would be very difficult for that freedom to be taken away.

3. mikauber

Hi Hope!
    Thanks for opening my eyes to the world of dinosaur erotica! I really enjoyed reading your post and the included hyperlinks. It seems like there are definitely more options available today for both users and authors to consume and produce content. As an avid reader, I am happy that stories are becoming increasingly more accessible and easily shared. I’m curious to know if you think that there are any downsides to having so much user-agency on the web? Can users become confused and lost in a never-ending maze of hyperlinks?

• HopePrince

You’re very welcome, though it might have been a little better if I had left it in the dark. I’ve never read any of it myself, but I remember reading about it. Apparently, dinosaur erotic is hilarous.
      I’m still so divided on possible downsides to user-agency. To me, user-agency on the web is still in its early days where things feel very utopian. I do think that, in the wrong hands, this agency could become overused or manipulated in some way. I just don’t know what that would be at this point. My hope is that we keep user-agency in its realm of infinite possibility. As to hyperlinks, I do agree that people can get lost in hyperlinks. I have spent many a night chasing hyperlink to hyperlink and completely forgetting what I was originally reading about. In terms of productivity, this could be a bad thing. Though, if chasing knowledge is the intention, hyperlinks are amazing. It’s probably how I found out about dinosaur erotica!