Dec 1 / Howard Wu

Nike Sweatshops: Slave houses?

Last week, in my public speaking class, I was given the assignment of researching and presenting about Nike sweatshops. My findings about the sweatshops exceeded my expectations on the degree of immorality and inspired me to raise some awareness about this issue in our world. Workers of sweatshops are often moved into unsanitary living conditions where they are forced to work overtime with little pay. Despite the fact that sweatshops are constantly occurring in our world, nothing is being done about it. These workers are forced to work 16 hours a day, every day of the week and are often denied sick leave or access to adequate medical care. In addition to these horrible conditions, shocking high rates of sexual harassment has been found along with reports of frequent verbal and physical abuse. With their products being made with such low costs, where does all the revenue go? According to Thirdworldtraveller.com, Nike paid 105 million dollars in 2000 to sponsor Tiger Woods while sweatshop workers get 10 cents per hour. Given these facts, are you still willing to buy Nike products and support these slave houses?