Assignment 3.5 – It’s all in the name

Find three examples of names that need to be spoken aloud in order to catch the allusion. Discuss the examples as well as the reading technique that requires you to read aloud in order to make connections. Why does King want us to read aloud?

In his novel Green Grass Running Water, King blends together the significance of form, content and characters. King’s writing style mimics the novels intention to blur the distinction between the ‘mythical’ and ‘realistic,’ and demonstrate the often-unexplored compatibility of tradition and modernity.  King provides a stage that allows the western listener/reader an opportunity to experience, and better understand Indigenous storytelling.

One of the ways that King unites First Nations story traditions and Western literary practice is through the naming of his characters. Throughout the novel there are characters whose names directly connect them to the hero’s and characters of western stories, for example Robinson Crusoe, Hawkeye, or Lone Ranger.  However, King also uses names, and their oral pronunciation, to allude to figures, interpretations, and beliefs within western literature; three characters with such names are Sally Jo Weyha, Polly Hantos, and of course Dr. Joseph Hovaugh.

Sally Jo Weyha and Polly Hantos are allusions to Sacajawea and Pocahontas. With these allusions King is referencing the patronizing categorization and demeaning sexualization of these women in western literature and media. Sacajawea, who was an important guide and interpreter for Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, is often depreciated in fiction and western film to a love interest for Lewis or Clark, for example in the film The Far Horizon. Pocahontas, the young daughter of Chief Powhatan and a successful mediator between the Powhatan communities and western settlers, is most famously misrepresented in Disney’s 1995 rendition Pocahontas, where she is portrayed as the ‘free-spirited’ love interest of John Smith.  In both situations the significance of these strong Native women, who played vital roles in interpretation and mediation between colonizers and Indigenous peoples, is depreciated to being the love interest for a white man. The parallel  to this sexualization and deprecation of these women is directly seen in Kings characters, who are actresses who have been pigeonholed by Hollywood into playing the western stereotypical ‘Indian’.

Dr. Joseph Hovaugh (aka Joe Hovaugh), is a clear allusion “Jehovah” or God. King is using this character to embody a range of associations and relationships between the western God and Indigenous peoples. The name brings with it the association with missionaries and their need to ‘save’ Native peoples through forced acceptance of their ideals, principles and religion. These missionaries assumed an authoritative role and granted themselves the right to impose their “revelations” onto Native communities, while they strongly opposed any opposition to their belief or opinions. This concept of imposed revelations and forcing conflicting ideals and principles on Native peoples parallels Dr.Hovaugh’s character and position in the novel; he is  an authority figure who hates having his opinion or authority challenged.

All three of these characters’ names allude to ideas and concepts that help develop a deeper understanding of the character and their position in the novel. Something I enjoy about King’s use of these names is that when they are written on a page the allusion is not overtly obvious, but when they are read aloud the intended allusion is very clear. This technique creates a deeper relationship between the author and the reader as the reader uncovers the multiple facets of connection and understanding. This technique allows the reader to engage in the text beyond the simple silent reading; it encourages the reader to, not only listen to the stories, but to engage in a type of performance with the words. While reading, and looking to find these areas of connection I found myself reading all the names aloud; often repeating them, merging sounds and mushing pronunciation in an almost performative manner, looking for ways to uncover the allusions. 

“Common Portrayals of Aboriginal People.” MediaSmarts. N.p., n.d. Web.

6 Nov. 2016.

Flick, Jane. “Reading Notes for Thomas King’s Green Grass Running

Water.” Canadian Literature 161-162. (1999). Web. 9 Nov. 2016.

Grant, John Webster. “Missions and Missionaries.” The Canadian Encyclopedia.

N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Nov. 2016.

History.com Staff. “Sacagawea.” History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2010.

Web. 6 Nov. 2016.

Kaye, Frances W. Hiding the Audience: Viewing Arts & Arts Institutions on the

Prairies. Edmonton, Alta., Canada: U of Alberta, 2003.

King, Thomas. Green Grass Running Water. Toronto: Harper Collins, 1993. Print.

United States. National Park Service. “Pocahontas: Her Life and Legend.” National

Parks Service. U.S. Department of the Interior, n.d. Web. 6 Nov. 2016.

Pin It

6 Thoughts.

1. Hi Hannah,
    Thanks for your insightful post! I also wrote on this topic, and enjoyed hearing a different perspective. I found King’s character naming to be one of the most interesting parts of GGRW, and am still picking up on some of his allusions. (There are so many!) It seems that every name in this novel comes with a deeper significance. I particularly enjoyed your analysis of Dr. Joe Hovaugh, and the comparison you made between his character and missionaries. Throughout the novel he attempts to force his views on the people around him, even when it becomes increasingly apparent that he has no idea what he is doing. When he and Babo journey to Canada to track down the Four Old Indians, he refuses to listen to her advice and continues to seek control of the situation. Why do you think that Dr. Joe has a constant need for control? Why is he unable to listen to Babo or anyone else?

• Hi, sorry I haven’t had time to properly respond to your comment!
      My baby has been sick so things have been pretty hectic over here.
      I promise I will respond properly soon.

2. Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the blog post — I enjoyed reading your connections and thoughts on the names in King’s book! In particular, I liked the way you tied-in different connections to perceptions of Indigenous and Western peoples/narratives as well as how you connected your ideas together as topics that contribute to the understanding of the characters and contexts within the story. For instance, I hadn’t thought about how these references to Frye and Christianity might enhance one’s understanding, but I can totally see what you mean in that regard! I also hadn’t made the connection between Dr. Joseph Hovaugh and missionaries (or residential schools), but after reading your post, I can really see that connection too — it’s amazing the number of connections that one can find within King’s writing!

In addition, I thought your discussion of King’s “blurring” of the distinction between the “mythical” and “realistic” and the compatibility of some of these (sometime binarily presented) ideas to be really thought-provoking. It prompted me to think of a blog post question from earlier in the term (assignment 2.4) where a number of us reflected on the dichotomies that King creates in some of his work (potentially in order to reveal the dichotomies themselves). It also made me think of the lines (borders?) that Dr. Joe Hovaugh draws around points on a map in one section and the reference to borders that Chamberlin makes when he suggests the importance of borders to some (e.g. as blockades are signalling their existence (63)) — I wonder if words (and their association?) can create boundaries or borders, and in what way(s). What are your thoughts on this? Do words create boundaries and borders, and should they?

Thanks again for the post! I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Kaylie

I promise I will respond properly soon.

3. Hi Hannh!
    I enjoyed reading your post this week. I also liked that the name allusions were not completely obvious by reading, but were noticeable when reading out loud. I think this emphasizes the importance of reading aloud as it allows us to better understand what we are reading. I enjoyed how you discussed this in terms of the relationship between the writer and the reader and I completely agree with you that more connections can be made when a text is read aloud and this relationship is formed. I also found your discussion on Sally Jo Weyha and Polly Hantos (Sacajawea and Pocahontas) insightful and the different interpretations of them in film and story. I’m interested if you think there is a reason why Western media has sexualized these women? Is it a lack of understanding, an ignorance, or is it intentional? I think perhaps it has happened partially because media likes to make everything into a love story and because stereotyping these women makes them fit in with a film’s story line based on love, but I am interested to know what your thoughts on this are as well.

Thank you for the thought-provoking post Hannah!
    – Chloë

I promise I will respond properly soon.