Welcome

I am Hannah.

I love to travel. Before I started my degree in Interdisciplinary Studies at UBC my husband and I took a motorcycle and a tent and traveled from Germany to Egypt. Since that trip I have been fairly stationary in Vancouver focusing on other aspects of life; getting my degree, getting married and most recently becoming a mom. The inability to travel has led me to a new appreciation for literature and stories. Since I have not been able to discover through travel I have been using reading as a way to explore new perspectives, places and ideas.

I am excited to turn this exploration inward and to examine what it means to be Canadian by exploring Canada’s history through its stories and literature.  I am very interested in this course because I would like to better understand the building and shaping of the Canadian nation and how storytelling and literature contributed to this process. I am also interested in how stories and literature can be used to create a national narrative, and how that narrative can affect an individual’s ability to recognize or accept other peoples, cultures and stories.

From looking at the course syllabus I am expecting that ENGL 470 is a course that will provide us a deeper insight into the power and influence of stories and literature. I am looking forward to the idea and discussion that comes from being exposed to an array of literary text, academic articles and other relevant materials that frame the Canadian identity.  I am hoping to gain perspective on the relationship between nation building and literature, and how this relationship functioned through the development of Canada. During this course we will be required to participate and collaborate online through discussion, research, and critical writing which I expect will enhance both my writing as well as my online communication skills. Overall my expectation of this course is that is will help me to strengthen my critical thinking and literary skills while allowing me to become better acquainted with the historical and contemporary narratives of Canadian identity.

I am eager to explore Canada with all of you and look forward to some great discussion! happy

Pin It

6 Thoughts.

1. Hey Hannah!

Something I’ve been struggling with is what my mom calls ‘itchy feet:’ the need to get out and explore this world we live in. This summer I travelled briefly in Europe, but I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance to do that again. I like your idea of exploring the world through stories and literature, and may have to borrow that from you in order to satisfy these itchy feet of mine! That trip from Germany to Egypt sounds absolutely incredible, and I would love to hear more about it sometime!

Something that’s come up in previous English classes for me has been the topic of a Canadian identity and what that means, and at first, people weren’t able to come up with much beyond the typical stereotypes of moose and Timmy’s and being overly polite. I’m originally from California, but my parents are Canadian, and I decided I would be Canadian when I was 9 years old (it’s kind of a funny story), but I’m still figuring out what that means for me, and I think much of Canada is still doing the same. Hopefully this course will address the national narrative, and thereby establish a stronger sense of Canadian identity and further everyone’s understanding of this country we all live in (for the most part).

• Hey!
      I LOVE that, “itchy feet” – its a great way to put it!!

I have never truly tried to examine what it means to be Canadian, so I am really excited to deconstruct it a bit. I would like to hear that story about you as nine year old deciding to be Canadian. I would also like to hear a bit more about your perspective on what it mean to be Canadian, especially with your American influences.
      I think one of things I love about Canada is that it is still figuring out what it mean to be Canadian, it is still open to growing and changing; allowing new stories and perspectives to continually shape it (at least I hope).

Really looking forward to reading more from you! Thanks for the comment.

2. Hello Hanna,

As someone who is coming down off travelling, I’m inspired by your idea to use reading as way to explore places while living in Vancouver. Wondering if there is a certain country you have focused on with your reading and if so, if you notice a national narrative unfolding there?

To bike and tent Germany to Egypt, fantastic!

• Hey sorry for the delay in reply, and thanks for the comment!

No I have not focused specifically on one place, though I have focused on a specific times on years and various perspective about certain events.
      I love the idea of focusing on a country and trying to find the national narrative – perhaps once I am done with this course and taking a look a Canada’s narrative I will have a good idea of what to look for in the literature and stories of other countries.

3. Hello Hannah,
    Welcome to our course of studies together, and thank you for your introduction, good to meet you. I am looking forward to our work together, and to learning from your perspectives and engaging with your insights. Enjoy.
    Erika