Chris Lam

Potato Printing

Potato Stamp of “CHRIS”.

How much time did it take?

The entire process took ~30 minutes.

Challenges?

Finding a potato was the first challenge. My wife told me that we had potatoes in the house, but it turns out the one potato that we had already sprouted a bunch of leaves and roots, and the thing was a bit soft. I ended up using the one small section of this soft potato that did not have leaves or roots sticking out.

I tried to draw the letters using a permanent marker, using a pen, and then when all else failed, I tried using a pencil. I somehow convinced myself that graphite would stick onto potato better than the other two options. I was wrong. I ended up “free-handing” the process. It was challenging to keep the letters the same size.

I thought I was being a smart boy by using chisels to carve letters into the potato. I thought that since it works for wood/stone, it would work with a potato. Nope. Since the potato was a tad soft, getting the chisel to cut in without completely squishing the potato was incredibly challenging. My chisels were also blunt from years of neglect. Thankfully, because they were blunt, the few times that I pushed a little too hard in the wrong direction didn’t end up drawing blood.

Anything particular about the letters that I chose?

While the “H” and “I’ were easier, those curves on the “C”, “R” and “S” were so difficult! It was even tougher than normal because the slice of potato I had was so darn small and soft. Although the letters turned out legible, they ended up pretty ugly. I should have done block letters. Or maybe “FLINT” would have been much easier…

Thoughts on Mechanization of Writing

Although it took a while to create the stamp of just 5 letters, stamping them repeatedly to make copies afterwards was quick and painless. I feel that creating templates/molds for the movable types in the first place would have taken some time. However, once that’s done, the stamping process could then make many similar copies in a much shorter period of time compared to copying by hand. Copying by hand is also more prone to errors.

This activity made me appreciate the technology I have access to so much more. I am glad I can pick and preview whatever font I want in a word processing program. Once I click print, the words come out beautifully in whatever color I set them to be, provided that my printer remains functional.

« »