Buy Less For More: Say What?

http://www.adweek.com/files/adfreak/Art/Dont-Buy-This-Jacket-308.jpg

In a recent blog post by All About The Green, this savvy sustainability marketer examined a new model of business: buy less for more.  Although this strategy encourages the sustainable behavior by “cutting” consumption, it has been one that many businesses have been slow to adopt.  All About the Green said it best when [he/she] noted that this business model encourages consumers not to over consumer.

A business that actually doesn’t want you to consume? Isn’t that the exact opposite of everything you know?

True, the logic may seem reverse.  However, businesses such as Patagonia that sell high-quality products for a premium price adopt a value-based pricing strategy that emphasizes a response to a change in consumer culture.

Where I differ from All About the Green is [his/her] comment regarding how less consumption means less profit.  I believe, however, that value-based pricing is indeed profitable in the long-term.  What I admire about businesses that encourage value-based purchases is that it is not so much a purchase as it is an investment.  This strategy encourages all consumers to feel invested not only in the product or service, but in the brand.

By re-enforcing the long-term benefits of these products or services, businesses are likely to position themselves as trusted brands, build brand loyalty and prolong the customer’s lifetime value.  In addition, the negative stereotypes associated with retail giants such as Walmart as cheaply manufactured or ineffective have increased market share for value-based businesses.  Accordingly, although this pricing strategy may not apply to all industries, I believe that it represents a shift in consumer culture that encourages long-term sustainability.