This partner will host:
- 25 secondary teacher candidates (May 17 – June 4, 2021)
- 10 elementary teacher candidates (June 7 – 25, 2021) (more than 10 may be accepted if any elementary teacher candidates can work in a high school)
A) Website: http://www.mapleleafschools.com/
B) Description of Community Partner
Opened in 1995 with the intent to provide high quality, externally accredited, international, private education in China, CMLES schools have rapidly grown in popularity. Currently, Maple Leaf has 83 schools in 19 cities in China and North America. In February 2019, a school was also opened in Adelaide in conjunction with the University of South Australia.
With an enrollment of 33,000 students, CMLES is one of the largest and leading independent international schools in the country. CMLES are BC offshore schools, and since 1998, have been regularly inspected and certified by the Ministry of Education, Province of British Columbia, Canada.
In 2018, over 1800 students graduated and the majority were accepted into North American and international universities. 68.5% of the graduates received offers into World Top 10 Universities. 2018 will see 2140 students graduating from Maple Leaf.
(Dance presentation at a Maple Leaf School)
CMLES has always prided itself on delivering high quality K-12 international education through western academic instructional orientation and a focus on preparing students for entrance into western universities. In 2016, 1400 students graduated, of which nearly all received approvals for studying overseas.
Along with engaging academic learning experiences across the curriculum, CMLES also provides strong Chinese as a Second Language programs as well as English as a Second Language Programs.
To learn more about Maple Leaf International Schools please review the 2019-2020 MLES Systems Calendar
C) Some potential CFE activities:
For a full overview of possible practicum opportunities please read the 2018-19 CMLES Practicum Opportunities document.
As Maple Leaf Schools is a new partner, they do not yet have videos from UBC Vancouver students outlining their experiences. However, the programs for UBC-Okanagan and Queens U students is similar and thus these two videos will help give you a good sense of how your program may unfold:
This year Maple Leaf hosted 20 teacher candidates from universities across Canada. In this video practicum students, Tessa and Desiree from University of British Columbia Okanagan share their experience at a Maple Leaf International School – Henan in China.
D) The partner’s larger community:
CMLES schools are located in 19 different schools in China. Each city is very distinct with a vibrant culture and geographic beauty. The following are some tried and true resources for those wishing to learn more about travel to and within China:
- Chinese Visa Application Service Center
- Canadian Embassy in China
- Travel advisories for Canadians traveling to China
- Canada-China Year of Tourism 2018
E) Required documents:
CMLES requires teacher candidates to read and complete:
- a Pre-practicum Information Form
- a Teacher Candidate Practicum Visa Application (and associated forms), and
F) Safety and Vaccinations:
It is the teacher candidate’s responsibility to ensure they have the necessary medical/dental coverage and vaccinations in place before leaving for a CFE in China. Teacher candidates are required to check and heed advisories issued by the Canadian government through this Website: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china. For example, June 29, 2018 Canadian travel authorities issued Polio vaccine advice.
G) Estimated Costs
- Flights from Vancouver to most Chinese Airports: $1000.00- 1500.00 Canadian (CDN), return. (Note: CMLED will reimburse up to $1000.00 (CAN) for the round trip flight cost if the teacher’s candidate signs a contract and returns to teach with CMLES following the completion of their degree program. This is subject to the submission of proper receipts).
- Bus from the airport to schools one way: varies depending on school.
- Accommodation: CMLES will provide accommodation at no cost to the TCs. This will either be shared accommodation with a current CMLES teacher or on-campus apartments, where available.
H) Q & As:
- Information to come as TCs present questions…
Note: Teacher candidates must not contact the coordinator until their placement has been confirmed by the UBC program coordinator and the green light has been given to contact the designated person at the placement location.
Superintendent of Schools-British Columbia Programs
China Maple Leaf Educational Systems
#9 Central St.
Maple Leaf Educational Park
Jinshitan National Holiday Resort, Dalian, China 116650
Please refer here for disclaimers which must be fully understood by each TC applying to this or any International CFE program.