Deakin University places TCs are placed in local Warnambool elementary and secondary schools.
This partner will host:
- 8 secondary teacher candidates (May 17 – June 4, 2021)
- 10 elementary teacher candidates (June 7 – 25, 2021)
The Faculty at Deakin University has prepared exciting CFE opportunities in local Warnambool elementary and secondary schools (and visits to local community partners), and they look forward to welcoming UBC teacher candidates to the Deakin campus, Warnambool, and Australia!
B) Description of Community Partner:
Deakin University is a comprehensive university ranked in the top 2% in global rankings and a leader in graduate employability in Australia and is best known for its student experience; personalized, nimble, friendly and enhanced by innovative digital engagement (see: http://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/reputation).
A range of CFE placement options are offered through Deakin University’s Warrnambool campus, 3 hours from Melbourne on the Surf Coast. Wrapped in the spectacular beauty of the Great Southern Ocean, Warrnambool (pronounced ‘War-nam-bull) offers a unique lifestyle blend of nature and wildlife, breathtaking landscape, arts and culture and a welcoming community.
Deakin University is an integral part of the Warrnambool community and surrounding region and as such, closely supports and engages with community and industry including local schools and community-based centres.
Who knows, you might even see one of these ‘students’ on campus! (Click on this link or video below).
C) Some potential CFE activities that teacher candidates may observe, teach, and experience:
- Two placements at local secondary/elementary schools (see list of school in section I below) for a duration of 1.5 weeks each, and where candidates will observe, teach and experience classes and school activities as well as present to students about Canada.
- Visit to Flagstaff Hill to experience sound & light show.
- Guaranteed accommodation at Deakin’s Warrnambool Campus.
- Social excursions to the Great Ocean Road and Tower Hill.
D) The partner’s larger community:
Industry in Warrnambool revolves largely around agriculture, small business and tourism. Warranambool is famous for its oceanic temperate climate, natural beauty, outgoing and friendly residents, miles of beaches and superb whale watching and surfing opportunities. For more about Warrnambool, please visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrnambool and https://visitwarrnambool.com.au/.
E) Required documents/vaccinations:
Teacher candidates are required to check the Government of Canada’s Travel Advisories web page for Australia for current information on required entry/exit advisories and vaccinations. Moreover, when the teacher candidate makes contact with their CFE coordinator in Warrnambool (see contact information at the end of this blog), they can also check with them to see of visa/vaccination requirements have changed.
It is also the UBC teacher candidate’s responsibility to check with the Australian immigration authorities or the Australian Consulate in Vancouver for any updates in visa requirements. In the past, teacher candidates traveling to Australian CFE destinations have been advised to apply for an electronic travel authority (subclass 601) – a tourist visa.
Common documents required to enter/exit Australia are:
- Valid passport
- Current travel, medical and dental insurance
F) Estimated costs
- Flights: Return economy airfare to Melbourne approximately $1300 – $1500 CDN
- Transport to Warrnambool Campus:
- Airport Transfer Service to Southern Cross Station – $18 AUD one way
- Train to Warrnambool – $39AUD one way
- Transport to/from residence to CFE placements: $5.00 AUD per day ($22.40 AUD per week)
- Accommodation on campus: $205 AUD per week. Accommodation is self-catering, no meal plans.
- Social Activities (optional): (no cost to TC), tours of the Tower Hill and Great Ocean Road.
- Personal spending, food, etc
- Transport to/from residence to CFE placements: Bus fare costs approx. $5.00 AUD per day ($22.40 AUD per week).
G) Getting to/from/around-in Warrnambool
- Flights. Regular flights to Warrnambool are available from Melbourne.
- Air Canada flies directly from Vancouver to Sydney, and then take a domestic flight to Melbourne.
- Qantas flies direct to Melbourne from Los Angeles.
- Air New Zealand flies direct from Vancouver to Auckland, then take an additional flight to Melbourne.
- Bus. Transit Southwest provides bus service throughout the city at reasonable rates.
- Rail.V/Line takes teacher candidates to urban centers beyond Warrnambool and connects to rail services that move beyond the region to places such as Melbourne, Brisbane, and the Great Barrier Reef.
- Taxi. Warrnambool Radio Taxis Pty Ltd. (phone: 131 008)
- Car and bus hire. Please visit the Visitor Information Centre
Suggested two step method for getting to from Melbourne to Warrnambool:
- From Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport, catch the SkyBus Melbourne City Express to Southern Cross Station (downtown Melbourne)
- Tickets: $18.00 AUD one way
- Tickets can be purchased on the SkyBus website or at Melbourne airport
- Skybus locations at Melbourne airport: https://www.skybus.com.au/melbourne-airport/
- Services run 24 hours per day:
- Timetable – https://www.skybus.com.au/melbourne-city-express/timetable
- Catch the regional train from Southern Cross Station to Warrnambool. The Regional Train – ‘Warrnambool-Melbourne via Colac & Geelong’. See the train timetable – https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/timetables/line/4210/
- Tickets: 36.00 AUD one way
- Approximately 3 hour journey
- The train stop at the Warrnambool Campus is Sherwood Park Station (approx 100 metres from campus)
H) Three step process for teacher candidates wishing to apply for a CFE in Warrnambool, Australia, through Deakin University?
- First, in mid to late September, UBC teacher candidates apply for a Warrnambool CFE (more information to come in mid September).
- Second, if/when UBC offers a teacher candidate the opportunity to do a CFE in Warrnambool (this information is released near the end of October), the teacher candidate then reviews the information on the following Warrnambool Schools’ websites and select two schools they wish to visit:
- Third, the teacher candidate sends an email to Deakin’s Program Coordinator Louise Clancey – firstname.lastname@example.org before December 15, 2019 with the following information:
- Subject line: UBC Vancouver Teacher Candidate Placement
- Provide your contact information
- List your two school preferences
- Ask any questions you may have
- Teacher candidates are asked not to contact schools directly, nor contact Louise until instructed by the international CFE coordinator.
- Louise will coordinate with teacher candidates to secure CFE placements.
- Deakin will endeavor to meet teacher candidate’s preferences, however this is not guaranteed.
UBC teacher candidates must not contact Deakin until after they have been offered, and have accepted, a Warnambool placement, and have been instructed by the international CFE coordinator to contact Deakin. The Deakin, Warnambool, contact is:
Email (preferred mode of communication): email@example.com
Phone: +61 3 556 33071
Administrative Officer To The Head Of The Warrnambool Campus
Deakin University, Warnambool
Princes Hwy, Warrnambool
VIC 3280, Australia
Please refer here for disclaimers which must be fully understood by each TC applying to this or any International CFE program.