Sauder Creating Modern Accountants

After only being submerged into the Sauder community for 2 months, my appreciation for accounting has soared. My past understanding for accountants have been much like the view shared by the everyday close-minded citizen: they are boring number crunchers. But after meeting with an upper-year accounting student and experiencing just some of the opportunities that Sauder offers for interested students, I am intrigued.

This article highlights my experiences so far and why I see so many opportunities, in school and afterwards, with accounting. Prof. Scott Sinclair continually states that in his upper year accounting classes, the majority of his students will continue on in the accounting segment for some time and then branch off into either starting their own company or into some other division of business. This makes me think of the endless possibilities and makes me thing of all the skills someone will be able to learn along the way through Sauder. For instance, if I do choose to pursue a career in accounting, I will have the general skills that I gained through first and second year courses such as Comm 101 and the following years to specialize. This process will not only give me the basic accounting skills, but the necessary skills that every modern accountant now requires.

http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/feature/2265153/-aayp-2013-modern-accountants-people-who-think-differently