PHIL102 Introduction to Philosophy II
Debate: Abortion

Participation is conducive to learning. Ethics is my main area, and one learning activity that some lecturers use to teach ethics, particularly applied ethics, is debate.

I have never used debate to teach, and I always wonder how it can be used—it seems difficult to be used well. If it is a traditional debate, meaning that there are two teams, 3 members in each team, then most students will be passive audience. Potentially, some can be referees and some ask questions, but even taking that into account, most students will still be passive audience. If, instead, it is a group debate, meaning that students work in groups and only one member of each group will be a speaker, then there will be more active participation, but it may be hard to manage.

In this debate, I tried group debate. Despite my effort to make it more manageable, the debate wasn’t very successful. I will explain why it didn’t work very well and give suggestions for future improvement.

Format of Debate
The motion of the debate is abortion is morally impermissible (except in special circumstances). I specifically asked students to debate in light of Judith Thomson’s A Defence of Abortion, which we discussed that week. The debate was on a Friday, and I asked students on Wednesday that they come prepared on Friday for the debate.

I divided students into 6 groups, 4 to 5 people in a group. Three groups are for the motion, and three against. But they couldn’t choose if they were for or against. I assigned it randomly. There was also a clear procedure of the debate. Each group sends one person as their representative speaker, and each group has 1.5 minutes to speak. There was a clear order of presentation. There was also time for two questions from the audience. Four students, not belonging to any group, were referees.

Problems
There were mainly three problems.

(i) Motion is unclear
I thought that making a negative motion (abortion being IMpermissible) and adding the “except in special circumstances” clause could help guide the debate. But they actually confused the students. Some struggled to understand what side of the debate they were on.

(ii) Unprepared Students
Though I asked students to come prepared for the debate, most of them, I figure, did not prepare it well. There are many possible reasons: busy, unmotivated, etc. But one possibility is that they didn’t know which side they would be on (affirmative or negative) before the debate, they couldn’t (or wouldn’t) prepare it well.

(iii) Reluctance to participate (Stage fright?)
A small number of students were very unwilling to be the speaker. In one group, none of the members were willing to be the speaker. They insisted, and did without asking, that they wanted to speak from their seat rather than from the front of the lecture room.

Improvement
There are a few things that I would do to improve it if I arrange another debate in the future.

(i) Less Formal
Perhaps it would be less intimidating and less confusing for students if I make the debate less formal. For instance, one group presents their arguments, the next group will have some time to discuss the arguments just presented and then have a chance to respond, etc.

(ii) Let them choose
I would also let them pick side (affirmative or negative) and let them do it ahead of time. This will allow them to choose a side that they like and give them more time to prepare for the debate.